[bcbirdclub] Re: Age and birding

  • From: "Janice Martin" <redwing@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <CLAPPR@xxxxxx>, "bcbirdclub" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:10:11 -0400

Thanks for the post,  Roger.  It gives me a boost to know I am not the only one
that feels like a kid sometimes, especially while in the birding mode.  I'll
bet that Jerry Thornhill probably feels the same way sometimes.  I received my
Medicare card in the mail the other day and it smarted a little bit. (I did not
include Roger and Lynda because I don't consider them my age.)

Janice Martin
  From: http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/nrrt/nsre/IRISRec%5CIrisRec2.html

  The Enthusiasts are the most active birders, participating an estimated 61 to
365 days per year. Even though they number just one-third of all birders,
Enthusiasts account for 91 percent of birding days. Sixty-two percent are
female, almost 84 percent are white, over one-half are over 55, 32 percent are
65 or older, a higher percentage have no college and the majority have incomes
less than $50,000. The most popular activities among Enthusiast birders are
viewing and photographing flowers, wildlife, and natural scenery; gardening or
landscaping; visiting nature centers; walking; and attending outdoor family
gatherings. Birding Enthusiasts, as a group, do not generally participate in
physically challenging activities, such as downhill skiing.

9:00 AM