[bcbirdclub] ABC's Bird of the Week - The Peep

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <jthill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Buchanon County'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:30:41 -0400

Subject: ABC's Bird of the Week - The Peep

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/banner_https.gif>

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/spacer.gif>

Trouble viewing this email? View as a webpage here:
http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandreports/botw/the_peep.html
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=J1H2%2FdEgmMFFN4SeXKL
LICqWGYbnAgQf>

Bird of the Week
The Peep

 Marshmallow Peeps by Just Born
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5400/images/marshmallow_peeps.jpg>

 stats bar
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5400/images/bluebanner-peeps(1).jpg>

American Bird Conservancy, bowing to a tidal wave of public opinion, has
declared the Peep (Marshmallicious delicious) to be this year's Easter bird
of the week, and has further announced it is to be split into four bird
species. The reselection of 2011's choice was based on popular opinion. "I
couldn't fight it any longer. The time has come - it was a no brainer for
me," ABC President George Fenwick said.

Up until now, scientists have recognized only the familiar "yellow" form of
peep as a full species; but there is currently support in the ornithological
community for granting separate species status to the blue, teal, pink, and
purple forms, currently considered color morphs. "There simply isn't any
evidence that these forms interbreed," said ABC senior scientist Dr. David
Wiedenfeld. "While they can often be found roosting in the same box, the
fact is that nobody has ever seen an intermediate bird between the color
morphs," he added.

In naming the Peep as Bird of The Week for a second time, ABC also raised
eyebrows again. "We've never had a repeat Bird of the Week. That was a tough
decision and I know some will disagree but if the Grammy Awards and Saturday
Night Live can have repeat hosts, we thought we could break tradition as
well. Some will point out that Bird of the Week is a bigger deal and needs
to stand firm on tradition, but I say the Peep has been a real giver and
it's time for us to give back and return the favors from decades of
springtime giving. It's just the right thing to do."

Peeps typically make their appearance in the springtime, with numbers
peaking in April. Despite their ubiquitous distribution and social nature,
their migratory paths, wintering, and breeding areas are little known.

During their breeding season, Peeps can easily be found in suburban backyard
habitats, where they lay clutches of colorful eggs in nests of
brightly-colored plastic grasses. Adult and immature peeps can be quickly
located by their sweet calls and neon plumage.

Although Peeps are heavily consumed, their populations appear to quickly
rebound in subsequent years and therefore they are not a species of
conservation concern. Enjoy this popular harbinger of spring!

Asked about the possibility of a three-peat, Fenwick was noncommittal:
"Well, we've never shied away from controversy. Naming the Peep Bird of the
Week in 2011 caused quite an uproar - almost crashed our website. This
decision will probably cause another firestorm - I probably won't answer my
phone for a week. But who knows, anything is possible. We'll take the pulse
when the next time comes."

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FSjKZcxTgMUbJ2Ha%2B
mbj6SqWGYbnAgQf> See ABC's press release on this species!

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=EpMiDmk0nY52YSqZW%2F7
EK7OpzR7mhHzq> Support ABC's efforts to conserve native birds and their
habitats!

Photo: Marshmallow Peeps, Just Born; Range Map by ABC

  _____

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/menu_https.gif>

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/spacer.gif>

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/spacer.gif>

Don't forget to join ABC on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and check out
the ABC blog

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GbNyAd6MUwEvFlfkT%2BI
54iqWGYbnAgQf> Visit ABC on Facebook
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2B%2F%2Bw0Sm8hQk2Ags
7nP5C2CqWGYbnAgQf> Visit ABC on Twitter
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MNV2mxxlxa7m4jeWaS9Po
CqWGYbnAgQf> Visit ABC on YouTube
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Ac0xSMNlfFcw42PVwHyIb
SqWGYbnAgQf> Read the ABC Blog
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DPDaUZXphjsGWmD0VPbz0
yqWGYbnAgQf> Subscribe to ABC's RSS Feed

Plus...

Free Ways to Help American Bird Conservancy Raise Much-Needed Funds: every
time you shop at any of 700+ online stores in the iGive network, a portion
of the money you spend benefits American Bird Conservancy. It's a free
service, and you'll never pay more when you reach a store through iGive. In
fact, smart shoppers will enjoy iGive's repository of coupons, free shipping
deals, and sales. To get started, just create your free
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=WMl33%2BTSHP7aq1NQLA%
2Fl8iqWGYbnAgQf>  iGive account<. And when you search the web, do it through
iSearchiGive.com
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1uALiw8PkgcqvvNGqb5%2
B8CqWGYbnAgQf>  where each search means a penny (or more!) for our cause!
Start iGiving at: www.iGive.com/abcbirds
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=F2ZgEITGhUELpEO980pGv
SqWGYbnAgQf>  & www.iSearchiGive.com/abcbirds
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=k2lTi4%2BZAPdipTjhJAG
q5yqWGYbnAgQf>

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/spacer.gif>

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/spacer.gif>

  <http://www.abcbirds.org/picts/spacer.gif>

American Bird Conservancy is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that
conserves native birds and their habitats throughout the Americas.

Click
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5SpCLWjdqG9UVkkib16Nu
SqWGYbnAgQf>  here to unsubscribe from BirdWire

 <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email> empowered by Salsa

  <http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/TrackImage?key=1476096358>