[bcbirdclub] A couple of late posts

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:44:10 -0400

We had a 1st yr Harris's Sparrow at our feeders on 3/24/11. I'm sure most of
you are aware that we had a Harris's Sparrow at our feeders from late Dec. thru
the 1st of Feb. but hadn't seen it since. The bird that showed up here Thursday
looks like the same one we had earlier, in fact, it seems unlikely that another
1st yr bird would show up here from the mid-west. I believe this must be the
same bird we had earlier. Birds have wings!
I also want to report that I found time to conduct a one day search for
Peregrine Falcons in the Breaks Park on Friday the25th. Several hours were
spent watching from 3 sites: Towers Overlook,Clinchfield Overlook& the
Stateline Overlook. No Peregrines were sighted! I did have singing Blue-headed
Vireos & Pine Warblers. I saw Red-tailed Hawks,Turkey& Black
Vultures,Red-shouldered Hawks & Ravens. I believe the Ravens are nesting in the
same location as last year. DaveR/Breaks,VA