[bcbirdclub] A First for Compton Mt and Something Learned

  • From: Roger Mayhorn <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 19:50:51 -0700 (PDT)

The first for Compton Mt took place on Saturday the 25th. A Black Vulture
circled high overhead above our place for several minutes before flying off to
the east. I have lived on the mountain for 41 years, and never before have I
seen a Black Vulture in this eastern part of the county.

Remember the recent battle in our driveway between the Rat Snake and the Brown
Thrasher? Attached is a photo of two of the Brown Thrasher young that the
parent bird was fighting for. These young birds taught me something that some
of you may already be familiar with. For the last few days I have been hearing
what I thought was the "wheeep" call of a Great Crested Flycatcher, though much
lower in volume than normally heard. Today I heard it, and in trying to see the
bird I saw one of the young Brown Thrashers give the call, and when it flew
from one tree to another the call went with him. I was really surprised. Maybe
the call is used by the young thrashers to keep in contact with their siblings
among the foliage or possibly to let the parent birds know where they are. I
have never heard that call from an adult thrasher. Nature can always teach us
something new.