[bcbirdclub] 1st Red-necked Grebe in Buchanan County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:43:10 -0500

Yesterday I received a call from a fellow who lives near Grundy at the Bend of
Slate Creek. He had what he thought was a loon sitting in the snow in his yard,
and it wouldn't move, except to peck at the fellow's small dog that went near
it and barked. This fellow thought the bird might be injured, and I explained
to him that it may not be injured, that loons and some other water birds have
difficulty moving around on land, especially in 3 or 4 inches of snow. Since
this guy lived right beside the creek he decided to put the bird in the creek
to see what it did. When he did that the bird immediately went under and came
up some distance upstream. He said it seemed perfectly healthy and was moving
around very quickly. He watched it swim away.

Before he released it I asked him to take a photo for me. This is the photo of
a Red-necked Grebe, a species that doesn't normally nest in the U.S. but in
Western Canada and Alaska. Some do spend the winter along the northern U.S.
coasts, but are not commonly found inland.

This is the first record, to my knowlege, of the species having been found in
Buchanan county. In 2003 several of us birders got to see 3 Red-necked Grebes
that were found on the Counts Pond in Russell County. I checked my records and
Lynda and I saw those grebes on March 11, 2003, but they had been found a few
days earlier by Bob Riggs, if memory serves me.