[bc-rfbd-beta] Re: Question for Tommy

  • From: Katie Walker <katie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bc-rfbd-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:37:10 -0800

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Page and phrase navigation do the same thing because phrase navigation is the smallest unit of navigation available in the book. In the case of Harry Potter, the smallest unit is page. It works as designed, but perhaps it's just a bad design. I'll talk it over with Steve. As far as the back page thing goes, I tried it out in Harry Potter and, you're right, paging back across a chapter marker is not as easy as paging back when there are no chapters, but you can do it. You just have to press the 4 key quickly a couple of times. Again, I'll talk it over with Steve, but we may have to live with this one. I will look into the last issue you mentioned about the pages around 627. I have a suspicion that there's something funky about the markers in the file -- maybe there are two pages that aren't sequential, for instance.

Thanks,
Katie

At 03:45 PM 1/24/2006, you wrote:
Hi Katie,

        Yes I worked with Steve and he suggested trying another computer.
When I did this the file loaded. I then discovered that page and phrase
navigation do the same thing. Also I couldn't get page navigation to go back
to a previous chapter. For example if chapter 3 starts on page 30 and I am
reading page 31. I can do previous page to get to 30 but if I press it again
I can never get back to page 29.

        I also sent a message to the list Sunday night that I'm not sure
ever made it. I have read up to page 627 in the potter book. At that point
if a press any key that move me forward it starts reading part of the book
near the beginning such as page 20. If I just keep reading the book reads
correctly until I stop for some reason. For example if the sleep timer stops
play and I press play it starts reading back on page 20 or so. This is very
strange. If I do a go to page it works fine up to page 627 but anything
above that will say it is on say page 650 but what gets read is the earlier
part of the book. I have managed to read to about page 680 so I know the
recording is there. But the only way to continue reading is to go back to
page 627 and listen to the entire book from there. This is very very
strange.

        I tried deleting the book and reloading it and I get exactly the
same results.

Tommy

-----Original Message----- From: bc-rfbd-beta-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bc-rfbd-beta-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Katie Walker Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:47 PM To: bc-rfbd-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bc-rfbd-beta] Question for Tommy

Tommy,

I'm reviewing all the problems you guys have come up with over the last few
weeks. Early on, you said you were having trouble loading Harry Potter -- a
data I/O error occurred when you tried to play the file. Later, you said you
were having problems with page navigation in Harry Potter. So, I'm assuming
that you were able to get Harry Potter working. Can you tell me what went
wrong? Even if it was user error, it might be helpful for us to know so we
can beef up the documentation and help users avoid the same pitfall.

Thanks,
Katie

Katie Walker
Springer Design, Inc.