[battlefield] Re: plex

  • From: Travis Mckee <baghtal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:00:00 -0600

Holy Crap! Plex has 3rd party channels!

I've been using it just to stream my own media. This is like a whole new
world for me!

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 4:10 PM, James Theunplesant <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

But does work on a fire stick, so that's nice.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

and, it doesn't run on xbox or PS.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Great points!. Kodi is only an alternative to plex for finding and
streaming content without having to have a server/media center
running/encoding anywhere. It plays your own content, but there is no
library to share. The navigation is easy, though i can't say it's
child-friendly.

it runs on android, ios, windows, osx, etc. I don't share my plex, so
it's not an issue for me. but Kodi has indeed, replaced Plex for my use
case of streaming movies and recorded tv from my home network.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Daniel Kulbacki <
danbackattack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you have to have a Media PC? Can you stream it to Xbox or PS? Is
it just dlna? Is it easy for children to navigate and find a show they
want? Can I stream my content to my phone? Can you share libraries? These
are the reasons I use plex, if its an alternative to Plex it should do all
these things. What are the apps, it looks like hulu to me and not so much
plex.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Oh, but Kodi it also has it's own built-in encoding and can play your
local files just peachily.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[image: Inline image 1]

lol. Well, i did link to their description pages!

Kodi is basically xbmc. With the tvaddons, you install addons like
genesis, which allows you to basically stream most all popular and
not-so-popular tv shows and movies. Stream, not host/encode. Stream. And
it
works well. I watch The Walking Dead more than an hour before it airs
here.
Yeah, it's shady and it's not your own content. But i actually find it
easier than using plex to view my own recorded tv shows because it has
them
all already.

I have it installed on the media pc with an mce pluggin so it's
controlled all with the remote for our main viewing room. It's installed
on
the firestick tv in our bedroom, too.

It's another option other than Plex, but it's basically stealing,
too. I wonder if my Bishop will even understand it if i decide to
confess....

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:11 PM, bl00k <bl00k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sooooo are you just going to say that over again without explaining
why it's better? What do you like about it? It came from xbmc from
what I
read.
On Mar 31, 2015 11:42 AM, "Ryan Hawley" <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Too long. Just install Kodi and screw plex.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:11 AM, chris brooks <cebweb@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Balls! I get a minute of playback on the amazon fire app. anyone
know how long exclusivity normally lasts for new features?

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, I have that turned on for my windows tablet but off for my
phone. It's kinda cool but unnecessary.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM, chris brooks <cebweb@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

I downloaded the free android app and cast to my Chromecast &
already have the firestick plex app. One cool feature that I
think I am
going to turn off (if I can find it) is playing the theme song
when in a
Shows folder.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Ryan Hawley <
ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've used plex for quite some time.. it is better now, but i
was always frustrated at it not working well with windows media
center
recorded TV files. I have to group them all into the movies
category for it
to work.

I've stopped using it mostly and now am using Kodi
<http://kodi.tv/> with tvaddons <http://www.tvaddons.ag/> in
it's place.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

you don't need premium to access outside of your home. The
only reason I have premium is because the xbox one app is only
available to
premium members for now. There are other features of premium
but none of
them are really worth it. Just do the networking to open it up,
you'll
see. It just shows up in your app. Eventually, like with
Chromecast, the
app will be a one time purchase and I'll probably ditch premium.
They just
offer it to premium for the first few months after they release
a new
platform.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM, chris brooks <
cebweb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

account: the_skroobs
I know you need premium to access your media through the
interwebs but do you need it to access others? is it worth the
price? Any
channels I need to check out or are they just glorified
weblinks?

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree. I think it made a huge turn all at once in the
middle of last year. I almost uninstalled it but then checked
it out again
after an upgrade and was blown away. It's my primary media
software now.
The apps are very well done on the xbox one and mobile
devices. You don't
really even need to organize your folders that much, you just
make sure you
put them in the right library (TV Show vs Movies) and it takes
care of the
rest. A few of us here share our libraries and that is
awesome. Only one
has to have the video file now and it even shows up as
available when you
search your library for the movie. It's come a long way very
quickly.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM, chris brooks <
cebweb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I decided to give plex another go, and it is much better
than the last time I installed in December '13. Anyway,
anyone have good
tips to get the most out of plex?

--
[-F69-]bl00k