[battlefield] Re: Stop Win10 from spying on you

  • From: Martin Brownell <marty.brownell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 17:44:06 -0600

I went through my programs on the start menu and spent some time organizing
my programs I used most and pinned them to start. I also pinned the ones I
use constantly to the taskbar and on the display desktop icons, added "My
PC, Control Panel, Recycle Bin, and a few others I use a lot. It really is
the best of Win7 and Win 8.1.

Once they figure out the video driver issue I will be going back.

JC can you game in SLI mode for more than 20-40 minutes?

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

i've found that the phone doesn't replace a separate remote for any of my
use cases. It does if i can't find the remote or don't want to get up. but
i hate switching from whatever i'm doing to do that. even if i have half or
a third of my phone screen multi-tasked to a remote, it's just not
convenient for me.

back to winders start screen: I severely underutilize it. I just press
windows button and type. i don't think i customized anything on the start
menu through beta or now.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM, James Theunplesant <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Back to windows sucks. Trying to make tiles work, suddenly some small
tiles are offset. remove them and re add or making them bigger and smaller
again, nothing so far fixes it.

[image: Inline image 1]

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good
intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

See also Xbox one smartglass. Not to some extent but the full extent. If
you don't like buttons, it's awesome.
On Aug 17, 2015 3:35 PM, "James Theunplesant" <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Buttons are so 1995. Put that crap on the screen in context menus.
Also my phone is the best remote for the fire tv if I'm not playing
Hearthstone. I have remote apps to control the TV, the Fire and to a
limited extent the PS4.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good
intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have a Harmony One and a 900, I love them. I've heard good things
about the new 'smart' version:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8049311-refurbished-logitech-915-000194-harmony-smart-control-with-smartphone-app-universal-remote-69-95-w-fs-neweggflash-com

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OH, that's a great idea. I think if I buy a remote for this I will
get a harmony.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have a few Harmony remotes that control the xbox 360 beautifully

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, they have one. I haven't bought it yet but I need to. But, my
lazy self usually browse by voice command because the controller is
waaaaay
at the end of the couch anyway.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:30 PM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does the xbone has a regular media remote? PS4 is still
controller only and that's bawls.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good
intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would bet you that if you used the apps on xbox one, you'd find
that there is more available to you than you thought. The OnDemand
stuff
is so terribly laid out and difficult to search for that you don't
know
what you really have available. When I started using the apps, I
can find
all kinds of things that never showed up and stream beautifully.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:24 PM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah cable/dish aren't even trying. Using xfinity at my mothers
house is awful. The interface sucks, it's slow as hell, the search
doesn't
work, it's near impossible to tell what is and isn't ppv vs included
streaming. But at least it cost 100+ a month. Oh and once you do
spend
30min looking for something to watch you realize your selection is
about
the same as Netflix and Prime anyway.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good
intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:19 PM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Live tv is for chumps, and dads. luckily I don't have my own
kids so suck it..... Shit I gave myself the sads.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good
intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Back to confusing email...who hates Microsoft but they have
the best product available. Bi-polar is my official diagnosis.

When I was using it as my media center, everyone had this
boner for SageTv so I tried it. If that was it's best
competitor, MS had
nothing to worry about. The Xbox One has the best media delivery
on the
market. No question. Their HBO, Showtime etc apps are second to
none.
The DirecTv and Dish receivers, whose sole job is to deliver that
content,
are still stuck in the '90s. The Xbox One is the best purchase I
have made
in the last 5 years and I don't even really game on it. A few
kids games
and that's about it.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Ryan Hawley <
ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Eff you, JC. Media center is
AWESEOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no better DVR that exists. At all.

I use an xbox 360 extender to get live and recorded tv to my
downstairs, good to know that still exists on the xbone.

PS: Eff you, JC.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use google now on my phone. It's soooo far from being
real time it's insane. I just don't use it because it will
feed me info
that is yesterday's weather, articles that trended last week.
It's useful
if it's not timely. Also, IT decides what it feeds me. With a
live tile, I
pin/unpin my interests. Google just suggests crap and more
often than not,
I don't want what they are suggesting.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:06 PM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Google Now beats the crap out of tiles imho. But I just
figured out that if I unpin all the tiles I can resize the
start menu to
delete that waste of space.

Now If I can get the all apps section to go in it's place I
might not hate it.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with
good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use the tiles for things I am not going to go open a
page for. Weather, headlines etc. I don't have to go to the
full web page
because I was already going to start for something else and
got a quick
update. It's more efficient for me. I wouldn't have thought
to go see the
information that I use it for but now I have it. If it is
that important,
I just click the tile and it gives me more info.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:58 PM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The tiles are stupid. They only make sense as live tiles
showing web information. And as I said I already have a
browser.open.all.the.time. Why would I go to start to go
back to the
browser I was just in? And so if they are for static
applications they
jsut take up to much space.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together
with good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Martin Brownell <
marty.brownell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Go to all apps. It took me a while to get used to but I
really do like it. Your tiles are your most frequently
used. You can change
it to what ever you like and group them differently.
On Aug 17, 2015 1:47 PM, "James Theunplesant" <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Half of the start menu is live tiles full of things I
get in on the web. It's jsut a scam to get me to use the
shitty MS Browser
and services.

And trying to find something in the all app view is
just annoying. Maybe it's the letters like I don't know
how the alphabet
works or something. I like normal folder structure, it
works. It's why I
spend most of my windows time in file explorer.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together
with good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What is it that you don't like about the start menu?
What was more useful in Windows 7?

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:38 AM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So got 10 running on gaming pc this weekend. Fresh
installed after it activated. The new nvidia win10
drivers seem to work
for me in sli np. My sound is still dead so I ordered a
xonar card (and
not a new mobo/cpu combo like I came close to doing).

Con's so far;
Cortana is worthless. It's bing desktop search, so
it barely works.. File Explorer search is faster and
actually finds things.
Still tons of fighting stupid little "We know best"
crap like auto reboots.
The new MS Browser the HMS Shittastic!
Tons of MS bloatware BS. MS Fitness, MS News, MS Get
Office now (even though you already ahve office
isntalled).
I still don't like the new start menu. It's far
better than 8, but still less useful than 7.
When creating new install Media the langue defaults
to Chechen (I think). Not really MS's fault, but be
warned if you create a
Chechen install USB you cannot change it to English
during the install.

Pro's;
MS seems to have pulled video drivers from
autoupdate. I got "basic MS Video Driver" that never
updated. I could
install the Geforce experience for Win10 and then
drivers from that with no
problems. half a dozen reboots and a few check for
updates and MS never
tried to F me.
Almost all my other drivers installed with windows.
Really the install media process self updates so I had
everything up to
date on the first boot almost. It was only missing my
sound driver and the
software portions of my network/BT/Sata drivers. All of
that and my
Chipset, intel video and even my addon extra USB3 card
worked fine on the
first boot.

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together
with good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM, James Theunplesant <
neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cheerio you old so and so.

JC Snyder
On Aug 16, 2015 12:53 PM, "Loren John Bailey" <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, install more spyware to get rid of spyware.
Thanks ole chap!

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM, James
Theunplesant <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I should mention that you need to select custom
install to skip the BS addon software. This should
be a no brainier, but I
know you idiots. :)

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched
together with good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM, James
Theunplesant <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

James C Snyder

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched
together with good intentions.
Augusten Burroughs

PNG image