[battlefield] Re: Roku + Plex + Windows Media Center

  • From: Adam Lyman <alyman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: battlefield group spam <battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 20:29:18 -0500

Yeah I use WMC to record live TV shows from an antenna. The file names are
rather obscure and complicated (name of show, then channel, then date).
That is one thing from the forums
<https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/197y6o/possible_to_record_ota_channels_via_wmc_and_watch/>
that they seem to say is that you have to rename the files to get it to
work. Another blog
<http://alanpringle.com/streaming-and-sharing-windows-media-center-content-with-plex-and-chromecast/>
said that you just have to put the files in a different folder and then it
would stream it. Ryan or Loren can you try watching a WMC recorded show on
Plex and see if you have any issue?

So suggested a XBOX to the wife and she shot it down as "another gaming
system". Also I am concerned about getting a used XBOX that will end up
dying on me pretty soon. So a new one would cost like $180 to $200,
probably more than I want to spend.

I don't have a Roku yet but they are a pretty decent price for the new Roku
2.

I looked into Kodi but I wasn't sure how I would play the files on my TV
upstairs. The TV has internet but I think I would need to build a HTPC for
the upstairs TV to run Kodi to be able to view the files that I record down
stairs on the PC? Maybe there is another way? So I think the cost of
building the HTPC puts it out the acceptable price range.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Ryan Hawley <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*cough* kodi TV *cough*
On Oct 13, 2015 4:34 PM, "chris brooks" <cebweb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have plex on my main pc, a Amazon firestick downstairs and chromrcast
(android phone) in the bedroom. I don't have a tuner but play all my media
/Netflix/hulu just fine.
On Oct 13, 2015 7:59 AM, "Loren John Bailey" <beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Yeah, you can pick up a used 360 for a little more than a roku. I will
say though, Plex has come a long way in the past couple years. I would
check forums and see if there are still issues if you already have a roku.
On Oct 13, 2015 7:54 AM, "Ryan Hawley" <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's been a year or two but i had issues with plex and media center.
Plex couldn't encode the tv recordings with protected content so i stopped
using it all together. For me, an xbox 360 is the best media extender for
media center, it's awesome.

We use media center for all of our TV and DVR.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How are you using WMC? With a tuner card to capture the files in the
pc running WMC? If so that would be a great setup. Point the Plex server
at
the files, install the Plex app on the roku upstairs and it'll give you a
nice, interface for your shows, movies music etc. And, of course, a
Netflix
app also. It's been a while since I've used WMC so I don't know how it
names the files. Plex needs it to be fairly recognizable. Wooties does
something similar I think. How does it name the files?
On Oct 13, 2015 6:50 AM, "Daniel" <danbackattack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I use plex and it's easy to setup and great to use but it only
streams your media no Netflix

Daniel Kulbacki

On Oct 12, 2015, at 9:43 PM, Adam Lyman <alyman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So I recently moved my computer downstairs so I was looking for an
option to watch the programs I record on windows media center, on the TV
upstairs. Does anyone have experience using WMC and Plex? Or do you have
any other suggestions on how to inexpensively setup my TV upstairs to
watch
WMC stuff, Netflix, and online TV shows.

Adam