[battlefield] Re: Roku + Plex + Windows Media Center

  • From: Loren John Bailey <beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: battlefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:17:53 -0700

If you watch hulu you have no choice but to "do" them.
On Oct 14, 2015 1:18 PM, "James Theunplesant" <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't "do" commercials.

JC Snyder
On Oct 14, 2015 8:48 AM, "Loren John Bailey" <beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Or you're not watching enough TV on said products. I've only seen it
while streaming on either the amazon app or with PlayOn watching CBS.com
https://youtu.be/m8zpkMe8nrM
On Oct 14, 2015 8:24 AM, "James Theunplesant" <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Funny that I own the stick and have not seen the commercial. Maybe it's
a Gary Busey ward.

JC Snyder
On Oct 13, 2015 9:12 PM, "Loren John Bailey" <beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm afraid I have to call it the Gary Busey stick. After seeing that
commercial a few times, even when I read it in your email, I hear his crazy
voice saying it. And for that reason, I can't own one!
On Oct 13, 2015 9:09 PM, "James Theunplesant" <neonghost@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'd sell Gary Busey my extra fire stick for 20 bucks. Happy now?

JC Snyder
On Oct 13, 2015 9:07 PM, "Loren John Bailey" <beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

But what about Gary Busey? Are we just not going to mention Gary
Busey???
On Oct 13, 2015 9:05 PM, "Ryan Hawley" <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll test it out tomorrow and report back. I think a firestick +kodi
could be a good idea, too. It'll stream shows from the Internets,
alleviating the need for a DVR. Fire TV performs a little better,
though.
On Oct 13, 2015 7:47 PM, "Loren John Bailey" <beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I don't have a tuner card anymore and got rid of it. I don't get
over the air TV where I live so I had to find another way. The benefit
is
that it is in a format anything can play I use sickbeard to "gather"
my
shows when I download them. I have an Xbox one but it isn't a gaming
system
for me. It's my media hub. My wife wouldn't want to live without it
now but
was hesitant to invest. It will play anything but so will a ps3 or 360.
On Oct 13, 2015 7:29 PM, "Adam Lyman" <alyman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah I use WMC to record live TV shows from an antenna. The file
names are rather obscure and complicated (name of show, then channel,
then
date). That is one thing from the forums
<https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/197y6o/possible_to_record_ota_channels_via_wmc_and_watch/>
that they seem to say is that you have to rename the files to get it
work. Another blog
<http://alanpringle.com/streaming-and-sharing-windows-media-center-content-with-plex-and-chromecast/>
said that you just have to put the files in a different folder and
then it
would stream it. Ryan or Loren can you try watching a WMC recorded
show on
Plex and see if you have any issue?

So suggested a XBOX to the wife and she shot it down as "another
gaming system". Also I am concerned about getting a used XBOX that
will end
up dying on me pretty soon. So a new one would cost like $180 to $200,
probably more than I want to spend.

I don't have a Roku yet but they are a pretty decent price for the
new Roku 2.

I looked into Kodi but I wasn't sure how I would play the files on
my TV upstairs. The TV has internet but I think I would need to build
HTPC for the upstairs TV to run Kodi to be able to view the files
that I
record down stairs on the PC? Maybe there is another way? So I think
the
cost of building the HTPC puts it out the acceptable price range.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Ryan Hawley <
ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*cough* kodi TV *cough*
On Oct 13, 2015 4:34 PM, "chris brooks" <cebweb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have plex on my main pc, a Amazon firestick downstairs and
chromrcast (android phone) in the bedroom. I don't have a tuner but
play
all my media /Netflix/hulu just fine.
On Oct 13, 2015 7:59 AM, "Loren John Bailey" <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, you can pick up a used 360 for a little more than a roku.
I will say though, Plex has come a long way in the past couple
years. I
would check forums and see if there are still issues if you
already have a
roku.
On Oct 13, 2015 7:54 AM, "Ryan Hawley" <ryan.hawley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It's been a year or two but i had issues with plex and media
center. Plex couldn't encode the tv recordings with protected
content so i
stopped using it all together. For me, an xbox 360 is the best
media
extender for media center, it's awesome.

We use media center for all of our TV and DVR.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Loren John Bailey <
beetle.loren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How are you using WMC? With a tuner card to capture the files
in the pc running WMC? If so that would be a great setup. Point
the Plex
server at the files, install the Plex app on the roku upstairs
and it'll
give you a nice, interface for your shows, movies music etc.
And, of
course, a Netflix app also. It's been a while since I've used
WMC so I
don't know how it names the files. Plex needs it to be fairly
recognizable.
Wooties does something similar I think. How does it name the
files?
On Oct 13, 2015 6:50 AM, "Daniel" <danbackattack@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I use plex and it's easy to setup and great to use but it
only streams your media no Netflix

Daniel Kulbacki

On Oct 12, 2015, at 9:43 PM, Adam Lyman <alyman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So I recently moved my computer downstairs so I was
looking for an option to watch the programs I record on windows
media
center, on the TV upstairs. Does anyone have experience using
WMC and Plex?
Or do you have any other suggestions on how to inexpensively
setup my TV
upstairs to watch WMC stuff, Netflix, and online TV shows.

Adam