[STC-Salt Lake] Treasury Operations to Weigh on Banks' Q1

  • From: "Anup Sen, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anupsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: E-Group STC Salt Lake City Kolkata <banknews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:47:29 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata-700106

Dear Member,

Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

With regards,

Anup Sen,
Moderator, E-Group,
STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

To view our old mails sent to the members please login into internet & browse

For mails sent in the month of May 2004  :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/05-2004/

For mails sent in the month of June 2004 :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/06-2004/

Intra-Net Web-Server of STC Salt Lake, Kolkata:

Using Internet Explorer in ATM PC of your branch, please browse
http://10.128.74.200  (our Intranet Web-Site).
We have provided several thousand pages of Reading Materials for your benefit.
Happy browsing!

Send your feedback about our E-Group and Web-Server to stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We are receiving emails from our members advising that they are not receiving
emails from us. In this regard we like to inform our members that there may be
two reasons for non receipt of the emails as under:

1. If mails are returned from your mail box (due to hard bounce) as there is no
space in the mail box, our system automatically delete your email from the
list. To avoid these, please ensure to download regularly the mails sent by us
and keep enough space in the mail-box.

2. Some of the e-mail servers (e.g. yahoo.com, sify.com, rediff.com or
hotmail.com etc) may treat our mails as "SPAM" and delete the mails. Some of
them put these mails in the "Bulk Folder". If such is the case, please take up
the matter with your respective e-mail service provider to sort out the problem.

However, if you do not receive our mails please send mail to us at
stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

Treasury Operations to Weigh on Banks' Q1

Poornima Mohandas

The Business Line

Published on July 2, 2004

Mumbai , July 1 :  TREASURY income, which has boosted banks' profits for the past two years, may have caused a dent on the bottom line of some of them in the first quarter of this financial year. According to analysts, all banks dealing in the debt markets will be hit; only the extent will vary as interest rates rose by 0.70 per cent during the last three months. Ms Kalpana Morparia, Deputy Managing Director, ICICI Bank, said, "Treasury gains for the first quarter will be lower for all banks. But I don't see any losses taking place. On the investment book, net-to- net it should be positive."

According to Mr Ritesh Maheshwari, Head-Financial Sector Ratings, Crisil, one can segregate the banks into two categories ? public sector banks and other banks. The public sector banks are likely to benefit from a cushion of long-dated, high coupon securities and unrealised appreciation from it which will add to their `income on investments.' PSU banks, therefore, should post marginal or even good profits.

The remaining banks, which are mostly traders and have securities of residual maturity 2-4 years, could incur losses on the treasury front. For the PSU banks, Crisil analysis has shown that another 240-250 basis points rise will not hit them on their profit and loss account. For the current year, the feeling is that if interest rates rise as is expected, treasury losses should be offset by increased lending margins. Worldwide banks make more money in a scenario of rising interest rates. This is because while banks have to give interest on deposits mostly at a fixed rate, the interest rate earned on loans is mostly at a floating rate and this would go up as interest rates harden, leading to higher lending margins.

But the recent rise in interest rates has been sudden and many players were not fully prepared for the same, said Mr A. Prassana, Vice-President, Research-Fixed Income, I-Sec. Most banks and bond houses have been selling on losses of Rs 3 to Rs 4 per paper in recent days, with their loss limits triggered.