[STC-Salt Lake] RBI to form Special Group on SME Debt Restructuring

  • From: "Anup Sen, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anupsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: E-Group STC Salt Lake City Kolkata <banknews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:11:38 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata-700106

Dear Member,

Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

With regards,

Anup Sen,
Moderator, E-Group,
STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

To view our old mails sent to the members please login into internet & browse

For mails sent in the month of May 2004  :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/05-2004/

For mails sent in the month of June 2004 :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/06-2004/

Intra-Net Web-Server of STC Salt Lake, Kolkata:

Using Internet Explorer in ATM PC of your branch, please browse
http://10.128.74.200  (our Intranet Web-Site).
We have provided several thousand pages of Reading Materials for your benefit.
Happy browsing!

Send your feedback about our E-Group and Web-Server to stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We are receiving emails from our members advising that they are not receiving
emails from us. In this regard we like to inform our members that there may be
two reasons for non receipt of the emails as under:

1. If mails are returned from your mail box (due to hard bounce) as there is no
space in the mail box, our system automatically delete your email from the
list. To avoid these, please ensure to download regularly the mails sent by us
and keep enough space in the mail-box.

2. Some of the e-mail servers (e.g. yahoo.com, sify.com, rediff.com or
hotmail.com etc) may treat our mails as "SPAM" and delete the mails. Some of
them put these mails in the "Bulk Folder". If such is the case, please take up
the matter with your respective e-mail service provider to sort out the problem.

However, if you do not receive our mails please send mail to us at
stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

RBI to form Special Group on SME Debt Restructuring

The financial Express

Published on June 29, 2004

KOLKATA, JUNE 28:  The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) would shortly constitute a special working group for debt restructuring of small and medium enterprises (SME) in line with corporate debt restructuring (CBR) for big companies, a senior RBI official said.

Speaking at a seminar on ?Alternative Avenues For Financing of SMEs? organised by CII (Eastern region) here on Monday, regional director of RBI VK Sharma indicated that a mechanism for debt restructuring for the SME sector was needed as figures showed that gross non-performing assets to total advances to the SME sector was 19 per cent, while that for the total manufacturing sector was only nine per cent.

The group would suggest guidelines on the mechanism of debt restructuring for the SMEs, he pointed out. He stated that the newly-formed Credit Information Bureau of India Ltd (Cibil), jointly promoted by RBI, SIDBI and Indian Banks Association, would play an important role in the debt restructuring process of the small and medium companies.

Mr Sharma noted that the huge gross non performing assets (NPAs) of the SMEs was the principal reason for poor credit flow to the sector in the country. He observed that delayed payment of bills and technological obsolescence were also reasons for tardy credit flow to the SME sector.

The RBI official averred that the central bank had asked the agencies responsible for sanction and disbursal of funds to the SMEs to provide timely institutional credit to the sector, adding it had already given directives to the concerned banks in this regard.

? PTI