[STC-Salt Lake] Private Banks Anxious over Agricultural Lending

  • From: "Anup Sen, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anup.sen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "E-Group STC Salt Lake City" <banknews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:11:07 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata
 Dear Member,

 Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

 With regards,

 Anup Sen, Moderator

E-Group, STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

 email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

 To view our old mails sent to the members please login into internet & browse
For mails sent in the month of May 2004  :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/05-2004/ For mails sent in the month
of June 2004 :    //www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/06-2004/

We are receiving emails from our members advising that they are not receiving
emails from us. In this regard we like to inform our members that there may be
two reasons for non receipt of the emails as under:
 1. If mails are returned from your mail box (due to hard bounce) as there is
no space in the mail box, our system automatically delete your email from the
list. To avoid these, please ensure to download regularly the mails sent by us
and keep enough space in the mail-box.
 2. Some of the e-mail servers (e.g. yahoo.com, sify.com, rediff.com or
hotmail.com etc) may treat our mails as "SPAM" and delete the mails. Some of
them put these mails in the "Bulk Folder". If such is the case, please take up
the matter with your respective e-mail service provider to sort out the problem.
 However, if you do not receive our mails please send mail to us at
stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
 We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify  stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

security checked by 3.93  version of CxProtect(tm)
On: mail_store at: 16:18:04, 24-Jun-2004 Thursday
Engine: 4.110.21, sign.def:22-Jun-2004, sign2.def:23-Jun-2004,
macro.def:21-Jun-2004
security checked by 3.93  version of CxProtect(tm)
On: sify_mta at: 16:22:24, 24-Jun-2004 Thursday
Engine: 4.110.21, sign.def:22-Jun-2004, sign2.def:23-Jun-2004,
macro.def:21-Jun-2004
Detailed Virus Scanning Report is attached as "CxPReport on 24Jun04 at
16-22-24.txt"
Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

Private Banks Anxious over Agricultural Lending

The Business Line

Published on June 24, 2004

While the public sector banks have heartily agreed to meet the Finance Minister's ambitious targets of 30 per cent growth in farm lending, most private sector banks are sceptical about the numbers.  "How can we draw up such aggressive targets when we have a limited rural branch network to do agri lending,'' is the typical private banker's excuse.  Private banks such as HDFC Bank, IDBI Bank, UTI Bank are not ready to commit the numbers or targets at the moment. "We will wait for the detailed policy which should come from the Finance Ministry and the RBI before we draw up our numbers,'' said the credit head of a private sector bank. His bank like most other private sector banks fall short of meeting the RBI mandated, sectoral target for direct agri lending set at 13.5 per cent of net credit of the previous fiscal.

A Finance Ministry spokesperson has clarified that private banks are also bound by the Finance Minister's Minister's announcements on agri lending target.  ICICI Bank seems to be the only bank with plans to overshoot the FM's growth numbers with a farm lending growth target of over 60 per cent to an outstanding of Rs 7,000 crore by year-end. According to Ms Zarin Daruwala, Joint General Manager, Rural micro finance and agriculture group, ICICI Bank, "The 30 per cent target is achievable if money is put into chunky, rural infrastructure such as irrigation projects, rural roads and cold storages, all of which will have positive ripple effects.''

Among private bankers, there are divergent views on whether agri lending is commercially viable or not. They say that they have not burnt their hands yet because it is comparatively a new business and they have learnt from the mistakes of the PSU banks.  On the other hand, the head of a private bank on condition of anonymity, said, "Agriculture is not such a great business that we are ready to sink loads of money into it like the FM wants. With the recovery rate at 70-75 per cent, the write off is as high as 30 per cent, so why should we go for this business when the industrial sector recovery rate is much higher at 94 per cent. Is the Government going to reimburse us for the losses suffered?''

The Finance Minister's target of 30 per cent growth in farm advances is ambitious, no doubt when the net bank credit for 2003-04 had merely jumped by something like 17 per cent. A. Sethumadhavan, Chairman of South Indian Bank, also feels the challenge should be taken up. "When we are doing restructuring for big companies through the Corporate Debt Restructuring Cell why not for the poor farmer also,'' he said.