[STC-Salt Lake] Poor Farm Credit Pulls Down Bank Lending

  • From: "Anup Sen, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anupsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: E-Group STC Salt Lake City Kolkata <banknews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:22:27 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

Dear Member,

Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

With regards,

Anup Sen, Moderator

E-Group, STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We are receiving emails from our members advising that they are not receiving
emails from us. In this regard we like to inform our members that there may be
two reasons for non receipt of the emails as under:

1. If mails are returned from your mail box due to hard bounce (e.g. there is
no space in the mail box), our system automatically deletes your email address
from our list. To avoid these, please ensure to regularly download  mails sent
by us and keep enough space in your mail-box.

2. Some of the e-mail servers (e.g. yahoo.com, sify.com, rediffmail.com or
hotmail.com etc) may treat our mails as "SPAM" and delete such mails. Some of
them put these mails in the "Bulk Folder". If such is the case, please take up
the matter with your respective e-mail service provider to sort out the problem.

However, if you do not receive our mails please contact us immediately.

We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify  stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

Poor Farm Credit Pulls Down Bank Lending

Pre-Budget Economic Survey Tabled in Parliament on July 7, 2004

Wednesday, 07 July , 2004 [PTI] :  Despite adequate liquidity in the banking system to support a credit pick up, a 27 per cent plunge in offtake by farm sector slowed down lending by banks during 2003-04, the pre-budget Economic Survey said today.  The Survey, tabled in Parliament, found that the total bank credit grew at 14.6 per cent during the previous year, lower than 16.1 per cent in 2002-03.

The gross bank credit, according to the Survey, stood at Rs 7,64,383 crore during 2003-04.  Both food and non-food credit growth during 2003-04 was a notch lower than that during the previous year, it said.  The decline in food credit to Rs 35,961 crore during the previous year was mainly on account of lower procurement and higher offtake of foodgrains, it said. Food credit during 2002-03 stood at as high as Rs 49,479 crore, it added.

The non-food credit, which remained subdued in the first two quarters, picked up from the third quarter to register a 17.6 per cent growth but was marginally lower than 18.6 per cent growth during 2002-03.  The increase in non-food credit to Rs 7,28,422 crore was due to improvement in industrial production and the trend "is likely to be sustained", the Survey said.

The incremental non-food credit amounted to Rs 1,19,684 crore in 2003-04 as compared to Rs 99,448 crore a year ago.  Of the total Rs 2,63,834 crore priority sector lending in 2003-04, credit to agriculture grew by 23.2 per cent to Rs 90,541 crore.