[STC-Salt Lake] Income Tax Exemption Limit Raised to Rs One lakh

  • From: "Anup Sen, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anupsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: E-Group STC Salt Lake City Kolkata <banknews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:37:09 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata-700106

Dear Member,

Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

With regards,

Anup Sen,
Moderator, E-Group,
STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

To view our old mails sent to the members please login into internet & browse

For mails sent in the month of May 2004  :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/05-2004/

For mails sent in the month of June 2004 :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/06-2004/

For mails sent in the month of July 2004 :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/07-2004/

Intra-Net Web-Server of STC Salt Lake, Kolkata:

Using Internet Explorer in ATM PC of your branch, please browse
http://10.128.74.200  (our Intranet Web-Site).
We have provided several thousand pages of Reading Materials for your benefit.
Happy browsing!

Send your feedback about our E-Group and Web-Server to stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We are receiving emails from our members advising that they are not receiving
emails from us. In this regard we like to inform our members that there may be
two reasons for non receipt of the emails as under:

1. If mails are returned from your mail box (due to hard bounce) as there is no
space in the mail box, our system automatically delete your email from the
list. To avoid these, please ensure to download regularly the mails sent by us
and keep enough space in the mail-box.

2. Some of the e-mail servers (e.g. yahoo.com, sify.com, rediff.com or
hotmail.com etc) may treat our mails as "SPAM" and delete the mails. Some of
them put these mails in the "Bulk Folder". If such is the case, please take up
the matter with your respective e-mail service provider to sort out the problem.

However, if you do not receive our mails please send mail to us at
stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

Income Tax Exemption Limit Raised to Rs One lakh

NEW DELHI: The government on Thursday raised the income tax exemption limit to Rs 1 lakh while imposing a two per cent education cess on taxable income.  Finance Minister P Chidambaram, presenting the Union Budget for 2004-05 in the Lok Sabha said the proposal to raise the IT exemption limit to Rs 1 lakh would give relief to 1.4 crore assessees.

A person having taxable income exceeding Rs 1 lakh will now be required to pay in additional to income tax (after rebate), an education cess at the rate of two per cent. The tax proposals specify that a person having income exceeding Rs.8.50 lakh would be required to pay 10 per cent surcharge on the total income tax payable after the rebate, and also the education cess.

For example, an individual with a taxable income of Rs 1 lakh (after standard deductions at the old rate) will not be required to pay any income tax, while a person having taxable income of Rs.1.50 lakh will now have to pay an income tax of Rs.19,380 (including the education cess).

An individual having a taxable income of Rs. 8.50 lakh will have to pay an income tax of Rs 2,33,580 (Rs.4,580 more than what he paid last year).  Family pension received by widows, children and nominated heirs of members of the armed forces and the paramilitary forces killed in action will be exempted from income tax.

The benefit of Section 80 DD and Section 80U is being extended to people suffering from autism, cerebral palsy and multiple disability. Compensation for acquisition of agricultural land in certain urban agglomerations is to be exempted from capital gains tax in cases where the compensation or the enhanced compensation has been received on or after April 1, 2004.

Gifts from unrelated persons above the limit of Rs 25,000 is to be taxed as income while gifts received from blood relations, lineal ascendants and lineal descendants and gifts received on the occasion of marriage up to a limit of Rs 1 lakh will continue to be exempt from tax computation.

Tax on long-term capital gains from securities transactions is to be abolished and instead a tax on transactions in securities on stock exchanges is to be levied on the buyer at the rate of 0.15 per cent of the security value.  This means that a transaction involving securities valued at Rs 1 lakh will now bear a small tax of Rs 150 and this will be levied on the buyer. The rate of tax on short-term capital gains from securities has been reduced to a flat rate of 10 per cent.

Announcing these measures, the Finance Minister said that out of nearly 3.40 crore people filing income tax returns, only 2.70 crore assessees are tax payers and the new proposals will give relief to 1.40 crore assessees.  Chidambaram assured the House that if the tax compliance improves, he may revisit the subject.