[baisl] Re: question about 6 or 7 day schedules

  • From: Debra Cardone <Cardone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 21:35:01 +0000

Hi Maeve,
We have a rotating schedule too, and I still have a print out at my desk
to remind me of my classes. We use Day 1, Day2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, and
Day 6. The good news is my kindergarten classes are always on Day 5 or Day
6. The teachers remind them with announcements for Library Day in the
classroom, and I also notify parents during orientation at the beginning
of the year, and I take the guilty off of me. The new kindergarten
parents usually check the calendar, and I have been very lucky! They do
not want their child punished, so they take the extra effort to follow the
rotating schedule. I also think having all books due on Friday is a great
idea too.

Good Luck,
Debra Cardone
Hamlin School
San Francisco, CA

On 6/2/15 2:26 PM, "Maeve Knoth" <mknoth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

We are moving from a five day schedule to a seven day schedule with one
stand-alone day each week (maybe Fab Friday?). This will mean that the
kindergarteners can, for example, no longer know that their library books
are due every Thursday. They will be due on a Monday then on a Tuesday,
then a Thursday. I am afraid that the lower grades especially will never
know when books are due and so will, more often than they do now, have to
go home without selecting a new book.

How do you, if you have this kind of schedule, handle this? Would it work
if library books were always due on Fridays, no matter when they had been
borrowed? What else might I do? I don¹t particularly want a system that
requires teachers to send endless extra e-mail reminders, nor a system
that punishes the kids for the complexity of the schedule.

I would love your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Maeve

Maeve Knoth
Librarian
Phillips Brooks School
2245 Avy Avenue
Menlo Park, CA 94025
650.854.4545 x 140
mknoth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIAL: The Hamlin School This email and attachments are sent by The
Hamlin School and may contain information that is privileged or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the email and any
attachments without reading, printing, copying, or forwarding it, and please
notify us. helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxx