[baisl] Re: [baisl] EVENT: BayNet­SLA Joint Meeting featuring Sarah Houghton, Librarian in Black, Jan 29, 5:30PM

  • From: Debra Cardone <Cardone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 20:12:26 +0000

Tevis,
Is the fee for BAISL members $30.00? Are we a part of BayNet?
Debra
Debra Cardone
Head Librarian
Hamlin School
2120 Broadway Street
San Francisco, CA  94115
415-674-5414

From: Tevis Jones <tevis.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tevis.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:45 AM
To: BAISL <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [baisl] EVENT: BayNet–SLA Joint Meeting featuring Sarah Houghton,
Librarian in Black, Jan 29, 5:30PM

Dear BAISL members,
Happy New Year! You may be interested in attending this event. Sarah spoke at
the  AISL conference Debra & I hosted several years ago, and she's brilliant!

Please join us at The Annual BayNet-SLA-SF Joint
Meeting<http://baynetlibs.org/2015/01/04/event-baynet-sla-joint-meeting-featuring-sarah-houghton-librarian-in-black-jan-29-530pm/>
 for an evening with Sarah Houghton,Director of the San Rafael Public
Library<http://srpubliclibrary.org/>, a Library Journal Mover & Shaker as a
Trendspotter in 2009, and the award winning author of the Librarian in
Black<http://librarianinblack.net/librarianinblack/> blog.

When: Thursday, January 29, 2015 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (PST)

Where:
CSUEB Oakland Center
1000 Broadway #109
Oakland, CA 94607

What:
Sarah will share her thoughts in a presentation “The Wrong Love: Why We Need to
Stop Telling People to Love Libraries” discussing how much of library marketing
across the world is focused on reminding people that they love libraries, or
soliciting them to say outright that they love their libraries and their
librarians. Sarah believes that we are having the wrong conversation. The
conversation we should be having is how much “we in libraries love our
communities.”

Schedule:
5:30 -6:30 p.m. Registration networking and appetizers
6:30 – 7:00 p.m. SLA-SF and BayNet announcements
7:00 – 8:00 p.m. Program with Q&A

Registration<http://baynetlibs.org/2015/01/04/event-baynet-sla-joint-meeting-featuring-sarah-houghton-librarian-in-black-jan-29-530pm/>
 is required:
$32.64  BayNet members
$53.74  Non-members

Bio: Sarah Houghton is best known as the author of the award-winning Librarian
In Black<http://librarianinblack.net/librarianinblack/> blog. Since 2012 the
Director for the San Rafael Public Library<http://srpubliclibrary.org/> Sarah
is a big technology nerd and believes in the power of libraries to change
lives. Combined, they make a fearsome cocktail. Sarah is a frequent speaker for
online and realspace worldwide events for libraries and other institutions.
Sarah has been called an iconoclast, a contrarian, a future-pusher, and a
general pain in the ass. She takes great pride in each.

Plus: Bring your business cards to enter the drawing for gift certificates from
Buffalo Bill’s Brewery and a wine tasting at Concannon Winery.

FAQs

  *   Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
If you wish to purchase wine or beer please be prepared to show proof of age.
  *   What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
The venue is a block from the 12th St Oakland Center BART station.
  *   Driving directions
https://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/ce/conference.html#contact
Parking map of nearby possibilities. Note: Of the parking garages only the
Marriott garage is open after 8PM and offers valet parking for $20
  *   Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Contact Beth Wrenn-Estes, bwestes@xxxxxx<mailto:bwestes@xxxxxx>
  *   Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Yes, but the registration is used to print a name tag
  *   Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No
  *   What is the refund policy?
No refunds after January 26, 2015
  *   The name on the registration/ticket doesn’t match the attendee. Is that
okay?
Yes, the name tag can be corrected at the event

Best wishes,
Tevis Jones
Head Librarian, Hoffman Library
Schools of the Sacred Heart, San Francisco

"You don't have to care about books to love school libraries.
You don't have to give a ding-dang about funny stories, true stories, or the
world beyond your home to think they matter.
You don't even have to love that school libraries are both a refuge and gateway
to discovery.
All you need to care about are the kids they serve.
School libraries are as important as the children who need them."
Author/Illustrator Mo Willems.
 http://atyourlibrary.org/

 CONFIDENTIAL: The Hamlin School This email and attachments are sent by The
Hamlin School and may contain information that is privileged or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the email and any
attachments without reading, printing, copying, or forwarding it, and please
notify us. helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxx