[baisl] Re: advice to a newbie librarian?

  • From: Laura Mauler <lauramauler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:18:31 -0700

Oooh, Carolyn, that is good to know! Thanks for the tip.

*Laura Mauler, MLIS*
*Librarian*
Drew School
2901 California Street
San Francisco CA 94115
415.430.3718 (direct)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Carolyn Karis <carolynkaris@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Using JSTOR from the public library is a great idea, but just be aware
that it does not always allow simultaneous assess by multiple people for
some articles. Some articles seem to have limits on number of uses (at
least that happened a few times when I worked with students who were all at
the same location -- sharing the school's ISP).

Carolyn Karis
Synergy School

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Laura Mauler <lauramauler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm a newbie librarian trying to build a good selection of databases for
our students, but the sheer number of databases available is overwhelming.
Our most popular one is ProQuest (Research Library and National Newspapers
Core), but that's probably because it's the one I've used when teaching
research strategies. When I ask my faculty they all just say JSTOR - every
single one, across all departments - which I'm reluctant to buy since we
can get it for free from the public library.

So I'm turning to you all and your collective wisdom. What databases do
you recommend, and what ones get the most activity from your students?

Thanks!

*Laura Mauler, MLIS*
*Librarian*
Drew School