[baisl] Your FANTASTIC discards and other stuff

  • From: Amy Cheney <ajcheney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: School Library Listserve <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 09:24:24 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I am the new District Library Manager for the Oakland Unified School District.
Yowza!

We are the second largest school district in the Bay Area and as I look around
I definitely feel like I am on the Titantic. Or maybe am resurrecting the
Titanic! It’s not for lack of some great people that have worked here but more
about a lack of funding and funding ending up in general funds…. as far as I
can tell…..

Good news is I have some district money earmarked for a new Library at a school
site that is 92% African American, and 5% Middle Eastern.

I would love to form some partnerships with several or more of you. I could use
your in good shape discards, especially by, for and about people of color if
you have them. And I will be reaching out for more advice as I go along.

Does anyone have great info on resources/books/essentials to support our Middle
Eastern students? Many from Yemen.

Thanks for being here!

Amy Cheney
District Library Manager
Oakland Unified School District
510.898.8249
http://amyjcheneylibrarian.weebly.com
http://writetoreadbooks.wordpress.com
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.”
-James Baldwin
Chair and Founder, In the Margins Booklist and Award:
http://www.youthlibraries.org/margins-book-award-selection-committee