[baisl] Re: Ways to donate weeded books?

  • From: Tracey Cosgrove <traceycosgrove@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 18:55:38 +0000 (UTC)

Just checking this email train to see where people are donating their used
library books these days.
The Children's Book Project does not take weeded library books and the Bay Area
Book Exchange is no longer open.  Friends of the Oakland Public Library does
not want K-12 weeded books right now.  Better World Books is not taking K-12
library books to sell.  Rats!   The books I have are mostly older classic 6-8
titles (e.g. extra copies that have never been checked out by Katherine
Paterson) or paperback K-3 chapter books like Magic Tree House.
Does anyone know of a Bay Area based place to donated used library books?
Thanks for your help!Tracey CosgroveSt. Paul's Episcopal SchoolOakland, CA

On Friday, January 16, 2015 4:17 PM, Lorrie Culver <lculver@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We also are doing a massive weeding project so I have contacted local
charities … one woman in the San Diego area works with several different
charities including juvenile hall for teenage girls … she has been able to
forward/donate all the books we've given her so far (and she picks up) but it
is slow going… only about 12 boxes a week.
Will Better World Books leave you a bin?
Thanks,
Lorrie CulverTechnical Services LibrarianLa Jolla Country Day School9490
Genesee Ave.La Jolla, CA  92037lculver@xxxxxxxxx(858)453-3440 x 163
From: Daina Dickman <daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:55 PM
To: BAISL <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [baisl] Ways to donate weeded books?

I am doing a massive weeding project.  Most of the books are too out-of-date or
damaged to bother donating, but I will definitely have a substantial amount
that could go on to a good home.  What do your libraries do?
Better World Books and San Francisco Public Library Friends won't take them.  I
would need to find a place that does pick-up or free shipping because I take
public transit to work.
Thanks!Daina DickmanBrandeis Hillel Day School