[baisl] Re: Online Catalog

  • From: Kerry Fender <kfender@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:38:24 -0700

Hi Laura,

LibraryWorld may have made upgrades in the five years since I stopped using
it, so if it already does any of these things, I apologize. Here's what I
like about Follett Destiny:

-Overdues can be sent to email addresses automatically (daily, weekly,
etc).
-Batch updates and deletions can be made to records.
-Patrons: You can upload student pictures to attach to patron records. It's
a small touch, and a helpful one.
-Reporting: there are reports. Many, many reports.
-Spine Labels: You can print spine labels from a list of barcodes
-A better database of MARC records for cataloging. It's very rare for us to
add an item to the catalog that is not in this system.
-Inventory reports are customizable. I remember there being just one list
with LibraryWorld.
-Titlepeek - there's a large database of book covers, so there's a nice
visual element.
-I didn't have eBooks when I used Libraryworld, so I can't speak to its
ability to handle different item types. Destiny does a wonderful job.

Plenty  of customization, really. I can set the calendar to calculate
different due dates, create levels of access for different patron groups
and administrators, create staff profiles to allow different levels of
access to the back end, and so on and so forth.

The interface could stand a visual refresh, but overall it is a great
system. Minimal outages, too.

If you have questions about specific functions, just let me know!

Cheers,

Kerry