[baisl] Re: Modern World summer reading?

  • From: Derek Anderson <danderson@xxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 09:13:10 -0700

Lori:

We don’t require class-based summer reading anymore, but I have really enjoyed
teaching from this book in my world history elective. It’s beautifully
illustrated, and written in a casual style: very accessible for sophomores.
The problem for Branson’s class is that it includes a lot of material from
before 1500. Might work anyway.

Best—

Derek
Marin Academy

http://www.amazon.com/History-World-100-Objects-BYMacGregor/dp/B005TX41YE/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441814750&sr=1-3&keywords=world+history+in+objects

<http://www.amazon.com/History-World-100-Objects-BYMacGregor/dp/B005TX41YE/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441814750&sr=1-3&keywords=world+history+in+objects>

On Sep 8, 2015, at 2:20 PM, Lori Deibel <Lori_Deibel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Our Modern World history teachers have used Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs, and
Steel for years as summer reading between freshman and sophomore year, but
they’d like to find another book to consider. The sophomores begin their
history courses at about 1500, the beginning of the Modern Era.

Does your history department require students to read over the summer to
prepare? Please send titles.

Thanks!

Lori Deibel, Librarian
The Branson School