[baisl] Re: Lower test scores for students who use computers often in school, 31-country study finds

  • From: Renee Ramig <rramig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 14:01:46 +0000

My first reaction is to ask how much has the PISA test they used been adapted
to reflect the learning that students need today?

Second - did the study compare the way computers are used, not just the
frequency?

And third is my reaction to the comment - "Schleicher openly worried that if
students end up "cutting and pasting information from Google" into worksheets
with "prefabricated" questions, "then they're not going to learn a lot." - IF
teachers choose to give students prefabricated questions, then I see no reason
why students shouldn't be looking up the answer online and copying / pasting.

Students don't need to memorize lists of facts. If teachers (and test makers)
started asking questions that required thinking which couldn't be answered in
30 seconds by a search and a copy / paste, then I believe the results to this
research would look very different.

Clearly, I have no opinions about this :)

On Sep 22, 2015, at 12:16 AM, "Debbie Abilock"
<dabilock@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dabilock@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

http://hechingerreport.org/lower-test-scores-for-students-who-use-computers-frequently-in-school-31-country-study-finds/

Full report here:
http://www.oecd.org/publications/students-computers-and-learning-9789264239555-en.htm