[baisl] Re: LittleBits?

  • From: Jessica Simons <jsimons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:43:05 -0800

We use the littlebits Workshop set in our Maker Playground area, which the
students are free to just come up and use. We provide project ideas, but
the students can make whatever they want. Students have done some fun
things combining littleBits with LEGOs.

Initially, I was nervous about leaving them out in the open (we have a view
of the table from the desk though), given the cost, but so far we only have
had a couple of them walk off. I do count all the pieces every week.
Sometimes, the kids get very involved with their projects and manage to
knock them off the table (we remind them to pick them up and be careful to
not step on them). I've had a couple pieces get damaged, but we were able
to fix them. I do recommend purchasing them: both our students and faculty
seem to enjoy playing with them.

On a side note, as we will be hosting the BAISL meeting in January here at
Moreau Catholic, anyone who attends the meeting will have the opportunity
to check out littleBits and all our other Maker Lab equipment.

Jessica

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Jessica Garman <jgarman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience using LittleBits in their
library? I am considering purchasing an "invention lab" for ours but wanted
to get some feedback about maintenance/usage/missing parts etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jess

--
Jess Garman
Head Librarian

--

*Jessica SimonsLibrarian jsimons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<jsimons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 510-881-4349*

*Moreau Catholic High School*
*A College Preparatory School in the Holy Cross Tradition*
27170 Mission Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94544
510.881.4300
http://www.moreaucatholic.org