[baisl] Re: Jason Reynolds/Coe Booth visit

  • From: <MBarloga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:45:45 +0000

Another one
mb

From: baisl-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:baisl-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Amy Cheney
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:41 AM
To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [baisl] Jason Reynolds/Coe Booth visit

Hi there -

I bring in a lot of authors for my middle school and teen kids. This year!
Jason Reynolds and Coe Booth! Diversify your author visits by piggybacking on
them being out here!

If you are interested, I have provided links and a contact to their publicist
below.

Jason -November- Publicity  Roberta Stout
author.appearances@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:author.appearances@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Jason-Reynolds/403685768

KIRKUS REVIEW: When I was the Greatest

A literary story of growing up in Brooklyn.

Ali, 15 going on 16, lives in Bed-Stuy with his mom, a social worker, and his
little sister, Jazz, who has a knack for markers. He hangs out on the stoop
with his two BFFs, brothers nicknamed by his sister: Noodles and Needles.
Needles, the older, suffers from Tourette's syndrome, and Noodles and Ali look
out for him. In the lead plotline, the three boys crash an illegal party in the
basement of a nearby brownstone and then deal with the fallout. Action
notwithstanding, the story actually reads more like a character study of Ali
and his sister and friends and a tender homage to this seemingly dangerous
neighborhood. Even though Reynolds thoughtfully (and most likely truthfully)
depicts the neighborhood as one where guns and drug transactions are seen
regularly, readers don't necessarily feel the danger due to the tender and
deeply protective relationships of the characters, who are realistically if not
exquisitely drawn. The plot, though compelling, takes back seat to them, and
what unfolds is a moving and thought-provoking study of the connectivity among
a family and friends that plays upon and defies readers' expectations.

Coe - October  - Publicity - Antonio  Gonzalez
<hagonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hagonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

http://coebooth.com

New book Junior Library Guild Selection

Amy Cheney
Write to Read
Alameda County Library Juvenile Justice Center
2500 Fairmont Drive
San Leandro, CA 94578
510.667.4347 (office)
blog: http://writetoreadbooks.wordpress.com
Chair and Founder, In the Margins Booklist and Award:
http://www.youthlibraries.org/margins-book-award-selection-committee
http://juviewrite2read.aclibrary.org/

"I don't feel like Write to Read just gave me a book and asked me to read; I
feel like they gave me a book and told me to dream, to see a better life for
me." Shannon, former detainee