[baisl] Re: Fwd: $1000 for 1000 Word Contest Now Open! - Leyla Beban Young Authors Foundation Quarterly Newsletter

  • From: Stephanie DeYoung <stephanie.deyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 15:16:00 -0800

Thank you Tasha.

Stephanie

Stephanie DeYoung '86 LS
Librarian, Lower and Middle School
Office: 831.233.7401
santacatalina.org
[image: Santa Catalina | Do Well. Do Good.]

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Tasha Bergson-Michelson <
tbergsonmichelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

(Please excuse cross-posting.)

I am not sure how many of you are involved in creative writing/content
creation at your schools, but this is a lovely writing competition in which
both my own children and my students have participated. It is a great group
of people, and a really wonderful event for those students whose writing is
selected.

Thank you,
Tasha Bergson-Michelson
Instructional and Programming Librarian
Castilleja School

*2016 $1000 for 1000 Words Fiction Contest is Now Open!* View this email
in your browser
<http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=85314cc7e7&e=c152e2e89d>
Fall
2015 Newsletter Welcome to the Fall 2015 quarterly newsletter of the
Leyla Beban Young Authors Foundation.
Please visit our website at www.bluefire.org
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=1a3b42dfd3&e=c152e2e89d>
to learn more. Contest is Now Open! 2016 $1000 for 1000 Words Contest now
accepting stories

We are pleased to announce that *the 2016 $1000 for 1000 Words
fiction-writing contest is now open* and accepting stories at bluefire.org!
If you are a student in grade 6 - 12 with a passion for creative writing,
visit our contest page
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=1bd7776d81&e=c152e2e89d>
to learn how to enter. Entries must be received by the end of the day,
February 1, 2016.

Please help spread the word! Share or print our contest flyer
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=19787af5dc&e=c152e2e89d>,
or forward our newsletter to any aspiring young authors you know. Are you
a teacher? Please visit the educators' page
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=8ba0a82b60&e=c152e2e89d>
on our website to join our teacher mailing list, see excerpts from past
contests, and get a copy of our creative writing curriculum.

If you are interested in getting a copy of the 2015 edition of *Bluefire*,
visit our website
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=a0bcc87195&e=c152e2e89d>
to find out how.
Welcome Jay Richards! Creative Writing Educator Jay Richards Joins the
Board

We are happy to announce that Jay Richards has joined our Board of
Directors! Jay teaches 8th grade English at Central Middle School in San
Carlos, CA. He has been involved with our foundation and contest since our
first year, as a first round judge and, last year, as a member of our
Editorial Committee. Many of his students have entered the contest, and
one, Zachary Lo, was the winner of the inaugural $1000 middle school
scholarship. In addition to being a director, Jay will take on the duties
of Editorial Committee Chair, and be a member of the Executive Committee.
Thanks Jay, and welcome!
Website Changes Story submission process improved

We are happy to announce that the story submission process has become
easier. Now, students will receive immediate feedback on their word count,
and only submissions conforming to the 1000 word requirement will submit
successfully. No more files to upload! No more waiting for us to confirm
your word count! Simply use your favorite word processor or text editor to
write your story, then copy and paste it into our submission form. The
form will tell you if your word count is OK. Be sure to read our contest
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=57d0ceca1c&e=c152e2e89d>
for some pointers on working with the new submission form.

Thanks to Julie at Suite 16 Designs
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=adb454c186&e=c152e2e89d>
for making this happen. Look for design changes over the coming year.
Donate
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=6ae31cce11&e=c152e2e89d>

Our Foundation publishes an annual literary journal of the contest award
recipients and honorable mention young authors. Copies of the journal are
available for a donation to the Leyla Beban Young Authors Foundation.
Click the donate button or visit the Donation page
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=b8924e8b97&e=c152e2e89d>
of our website.
Donate
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=e6566efec7&e=c152e2e89d>
*Volunteer*
Are you a student looking for volunteer opportunities? Need some
community service hours? If so, please send us an email at
info@xxxxxxxxxxxx <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=volunteer%20opportunities>.
We could use help with publication, event planning & logistics, and
website/computer programming. If you have an interest in helping us please
reach out and we will be in touch. *Workshops*
Are you a parent or teacher interested in providing creative writing
enrichment at your school? Are you an educator interested in teaching a
workshop? If you are interested in exploring opportunities to work with
us, or if you know of after school or summer school providers looking to
provide enrichment programs to middle or high school kids, please send us
an email at info@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<info@xxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=workshop%20opportunity>. You can visit our
teachers'
resources
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=fc89208547&e=c152e2e89d>
page on our website to view our curriculum and learn more.

Donate
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=16113a772f&e=c152e2e89d>
Help
Wanted!
Looking for first-round judges for our contest. If you are an educator,
educator-in-training, author, parent, or anyone else with some creative
writing interest or background, we would love to consider you for our pool
of first round judges. Judges in the first round read a set of student
submissions to help decide the pool of entries reviewed for prizes and
publication by our Editorial Committee. The judging happens in February,
and would require a commitment of 5 - 10 hours over 3 weeks. If you are
interested in helping out, please email
<info@xxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=volunteer%20judge%20opportuity&body=I'm%20interested%20in%20helping%20out!%20%20Please%20consider%20me%20for%20your%20first%20round%20judging%20pool.>
me and we will follow up.
Sponsorship Opportunities
Help our cause, get some publicity, and generate some goodwill! We are
offering opportunities to individuals, families, family foundations, or
small businesses to help out, get a little publicity, and generate some
goodwill. If you make a targeted donation to one of our programs below, we
will offer to acknowledge you on our website, newsletters, programs, and
publications. You can include a name and a brief description or tagline if
you like. Please take a look at our programs below and click here
<info@xxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=sponsorship%20opportunities> to send me an
email for more information.

*Bluefire **Publication Sponsor*: Make a targeted donation of $500 or
more to help offset our journal publication costs. Receive acknowledgment
in our journal, award celebration program, website, and newsletters. You
also will receive a copy of the 2015 edition signed by the authors.

*Workshop Curriculum Sponsor*: Make a targeted donation of $300 to help
underwrite the publication of our curriculum and help pay our teacher
salary costs. You will receive acknowledgment in our published curriculum,
on our website, and in our newsletters.

*Workshop Scholarship Sponsor*: Make a targeted donation of $250 to
sponsor an underserved student at our workshop and receive acknowledgment
on our website and newsletters.

*In Kind Donations*: We need to revise our website infrastructure for
processing student submissions. If you or someone you know is a coder or
website designer who can help us out with an in kind donation or reduced
fee services, we would gladly acknowledge your help on our website.

<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=934731cb36&e=c152e2e89d>
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=9a19e15d5a&e=c152e2e89d>
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=b21bca41d5&e=c152e2e89d>
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=5485014158&e=c152e2e89d>
<info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=007eefbecc&e=c152e2e89d>

------------------------------
The Leyla Beban Young Authors Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt
nonprofit corporation (tax ID 46-3489728). Our mission is to support
aspiring young authors with a passion for creative writing by providing the
encouragement, resources, training, and inspiration for them to follow
their dreams.

The Foundation is dedicated to the memory of Leyla Beban and her love of
books, creative writing, imagination, and adventure. Find out more at our
website, www.bluefire.org
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=cdd3843d36&e=c152e2e89d>
.
------------------------------

This email was sent to iteachawesome@xxxxxxxxx
*why did I get this?*
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage.com/about?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=521fe9ec3e&e=c152e2e89d&c=85314cc7e7>
unsubscribe from this list
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=521fe9ec3e&e=c152e2e89d&c=85314cc7e7>
update subscription preferences
<http://blue4beban.us3.list-manage1.com/profile?u=d47019b73565a781f6bf50953&id=521fe9ec3e&e=c152e2e89d>
The Leyla Beban Young Authors Foundation · PO Box 610005 · Redwood City,
CA 94061 · USA

--
I teach awesome kids. I teach awesome teachers. I teach awesome skills.

--
Tasha Bergson-Michelson
Instructional and Programming Librarian
1310 Bryant St.