[baisl] Re: Faculty/Staff Overdue Books

  • From: Ann Lane <annlane@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 16:18:28 -0800

We use Follett to send email reminders after 3 weeks, but don't charge
overdues. Most teachers are quite good about returning on time. The few
lost books have been paid for - the teacher offered - with only one
exception.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Jenny Andrus <jenny_andrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Same at Live Oak. We don't charge teachers for lost books. We do send
regular reminders (once a month), and we start sending personal email
reminders if there is a demand for the book and/or it’s close to the end of
the year. Most books do find their way back to the library. Jenny

On Dec 1, 2015, at 2:01 PM, Derek Anderson <danderson@xxxxxx> wrote:

As is true with many others who have responded, Marin Academy does not
charge faculty or staff for overdue or lost books. Books are technically
due at the end of each semester; we send reminders out in January and in
either June or August to nudge folks into returning materials. Most are
responsive. I think the fallout from colleagues would be disastrous if we
started to charge them for lost materials.

Derek

<Mac Mail logo.png>
*Derek Anderson*
*Library Director*
*danderson@xxxxxx* <danderson@xxxxxx>
415-482-3211
1600 Mission Ave.
San Rafael, CA 94965

On Dec 1, 2015, at 10:58 AM, Laura Mauler <lauramauler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi BAISLers,

What is your library's policy regarding faculty/staff overdue books? When
does a faculty/staff member's book go from just "overdue" to "missing,
needs to be replaced"? When a book does get replaced, do you charge the
faculty member individually (payroll deductions, etc.) or do you charge
their department's budget?

At Drew there historically has not been any due date for faculty/staff,
and there was no charge for replacing any items (the library just
repurchased the book out of its budget). I plan to move away from that
model, and it's always helpful to know what is typical across BAISL before
I go into any policy meetings.

Thanks for your help!

*Laura Mauler, MLIS*
*Librarian*