[baisl] Re: Expectations at your school around buying materials and being reimbursed?

  • From: Marilyn Kimura <mkimura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:42:49 +0000

HI Folks,

We highly recommend Ingram as a source for books.  We have used them for 25+
years.  Our primary warehouse is in Oregon, and we get shipments in 1-3 days if
they have the titles we want.  They don't charge shipping on 15 or more items
from the same warehouse and our usual discount is 32%.  We use purchase orders,
and they bill us.  We review the invoices, assign appropriate budget line
numbers, and send to our business Office for payment.

best, marilyn

BTW, Ingram will also accept returns on most items.

On Feb 11, 2015, at 9:59 AM, Daina Dickman
<daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi everyone,

My current situation is that if I need items with a quick turnaround I use
Amazon Prime.  Follett has a turnaround of up to a month in my experience,
which is my preferred vendor.  The problem is that I am expected to use my own
debit card and be reimbursed by the school when I use Amazon.

Because the library collection I inherited last year is so out of date (average
age of NF was early 1990s) there are constant curricular emergencies from
teachers.  I want to be responsive to teacher needs, especially because I am
trying to promote the library as a valuable resource.  However, I am at a point
where financially I can't be waiting to be reimbursed for several hundred
dollars at any given time.  My school head told me "no" when I asked about
getting a departmental credit card to tie to Amazon.

Can I ask what other school libraries do?  I am leaning towards telling
teachers that I can't make exceptions and they need to give me order requests 6
weeks out.  However, I HATE doing that because I like being responsive and
flexible -- especially as I rebuild the collection.  The library was in such
chaos when I came in that I don't think there were any procedures in place in
the past.

Thank you,
Daina

Marilyn Kimura, Librarian