[baisl] Re: Expectations at your school around buying materials and being reimbursed?

  • From: "Thomas, Brian" <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 19:07:04 +0000

This is what we do at Saint Mary’s as well, but the PO has to be sent to be
approved by our administration first, then it goes to the business office to be
purchased.  Sometimes I will carry it through personally when I need materials
in a hurry.

Brian Thomas
Director of Library Media Services
Saint Mary’s College High School
http://www.saintmaryschs.org/
510-559-6228

From: Daina Dickman <daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM
To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [baisl] Re: Expectations at your school around buying materials and
being reimbursed?

Thank you.  That seems to make sense.  I tried this approach at one point, but
could not get the business staff to make the purchase in a timely fashion -- if
at all.  It may be worth revisiting as we have a new head of the business
office and see if she can help.

Daina

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Lemon, Katy
<klemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:klemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
The school has a credit card and an account with Amazon Prime and all I have to
do is find what I want to order, copy the item(s), and send them to the
assistant business manager who orders them for me.  When the bill comes, I fill
out the PO and sign it.  It is easy and I get my books in a couple of days.

Katy Lemon

Librarian
klemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:klemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Presentation High School
2281 Plummer Avenue
San Jose, CA 95125
408-264-1664<tel:408-264-1664> ex. 2433

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Daina Dickman
<daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hi everyone,

My current situation is that if I need items with a quick turnaround I use
Amazon Prime.  Follett has a turnaround of up to a month in my experience,
which is my preferred vendor.  The problem is that I am expected to use my own
debit card and be reimbursed by the school when I use Amazon.

Because the library collection I inherited last year is so out of date (average
age of NF was early 1990s) there are constant curricular emergencies from
teachers.  I want to be responsive to teacher needs, especially because I am
trying to promote the library as a valuable resource.  However, I am at a point
where financially I can't be waiting to be reimbursed for several hundred
dollars at any given time.  My school head told me "no" when I asked about
getting a departmental credit card to tie to Amazon.

Can I ask what other school libraries do?  I am leaning towards telling
teachers that I can't make exceptions and they need to give me order requests 6
weeks out.  However, I HATE doing that because I like being responsive and
flexible -- especially as I rebuild the collection.  The library was in such
chaos when I came in that I don't think there were any procedures in place in
the past.

Thank you,
Daina

--