[baisl] Expectations at your school around buying materials and being reimbursed?

  • From: Daina Dickman <daina.dickman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 09:59:53 -0800

Hi everyone,

My current situation is that if I need items with a quick turnaround I use
Amazon Prime.  Follett has a turnaround of up to a month in my experience,
which is my preferred vendor.  The problem is that I am expected to use my
own debit card and be reimbursed by the school when I use Amazon.

Because the library collection I inherited last year is so out of date
(average age of NF was early 1990s) there are constant curricular
emergencies from teachers.  I want to be responsive to teacher needs,
especially because I am trying to promote the library as a valuable
resource.  However, I am at a point where financially I can't be waiting to
be reimbursed for several hundred dollars at any given time.  My school
head told me "no" when I asked about getting a departmental credit card to
tie to Amazon.

Can I ask what other school libraries do?  I am leaning towards telling
teachers that I can't make exceptions and they need to give me order
requests 6 weeks out.  However, I HATE doing that because I like being
responsive and flexible -- especially as I rebuild the collection.  The
library was in such chaos when I came in that I don't think there were any
procedures in place in the past.

Thank you,
Daina