[baisl] Re: Discussion on BAISL forum invited!

  • From: Linden Van Wert-Weisberg <linden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:01:10 +0000

Hi Helen--

The MLIS was not part of any required criteria that I recall; that topic was
specifically addressed by Athenian's librarian who discussed BAISL's welcome
inclusion of people irrespective of that benchmark.

I'm sorry you weren't there too and would have liked to have heard your
thoughts.  It was a fine meeting.

Linden

Linden Van Wert
Librarian
The Seven Hills School
975 N. San Carlos Drive
Walnut Creek
CA 94598
linden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:linden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 20, 2014, at 7:59 PM, "Helen Huber"
<huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Too bad that I was not able to attend what might be voted as my last meeting.
Sadly, although I have fourteen years experience as  "librarian" and  over
three decades in the classroom, as a reading consultant and as an
administrator, I don't seem to qualify for Baisl membership if a MLIS
credential is your guiding light.
_Helen (who is not technically a librarian)

Helen Huber, CSB Librarian
huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
415-614-5117

Cathedral School for Boys
1275 Sacramento Street
San Francisco, CA  94108

"We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each
thing that comes up, seeing it as not as dreadful as it appears, discovering
that we have the strength to stare it down."-Eleanor Roosevelt

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Lauri Vaughan
<Lauri.Vaughan@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Lauri.Vaughan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Our recent meeting featured a large group discussion regarding the parameters
of our membership. Near the conclusion, a suggestion was made to specifically
include library advocates and library students among those eligible for BAISL
membership, based on the plurality of our current membership, the schools we
serve, and our historical inclusivity. It is likely that an online (Yes! A
virtual ballot that will enable all members to participate!) will be
forthcoming regarding this topic. Robust discussion is helpful. Please read a
summary of the discussion and participate at the link to our private forum
listed below:

Should BAISL revise its bylaws and mission statement to specifically include
library advocates and library students, as well as librarians, as eligible
members of BAISL?

http://www.baisl.org/general/3128096

Best,

Lauri J. Vaughan
President Bay Area Independent School Librarians
Upper School Campus Librarian
The Harker School
500 Saratoga Avenue
San Jose, CA 95129
408.345.9297<tel:408.345.9297>
LauriV@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:LauriV@xxxxxxxxxx>

What I'm Reading... Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh
What I'm Hearing... The Secret Place  by Tana French