[baisl] Re: Designer of Library/Educational Spaces

  • From: Linden Van Wert-Weisberg <linden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:13:23 +0000

Hi Eric-

We have a library built in 2003 and it is still a fine space to use, flex and
change.  Two thoughts:

  1.  Request more electrical outlets than you think you need.  They are
expensive but the absence of power strips and extension cords makes the fire
marshal happy and is never a safety problem for ADA.  While data access has
shifted to wireless, electricity's not going to go that route any time soon!
<g>
  2.  Look at the book, A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander.  It's
about the relationship between architecture (and its features) and how people
use it.  Two ideas from it that proved super for a library were Zen Window, and
Adjacent Spaces.  Of course there were more.

See you Tuesday,

Linden Van Wert

Librarian
The Seven Hills School
975 N. San Carlos Drive
Walnut Creek CA 94598
linden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Eric Mahollitz <emahollitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:emahollitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:09 PM
To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [baisl] Designer of Library/Educational Spaces

Greetings BAISLers,

I'm in the brainstorming phase of redesigning my library and adjoining spaces.
While I know the components I'd like present in a renovated space, I am
certainly no designer. If you've recently gone through a redesign yourself, or
simply know someone who specializes in the design of library/educational
spaces, I'd love to get in touch with you and/or them.

I look forward to seeing you all on Tuesday.

All the best,

Eric Mahollitz
Librarian/Educational Technologist
Salesian College Prep