[baisl] Re: Collection Size / Going Bookless

  • From: Carolyn Karis <blueslibrary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:19:45 -0700

Laura,

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed.

Carolyn Karis
Synergy School

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Laura Mauler <lauramauler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have to say: WOW! The outpouring of advice, information on your
collections, and the supportive messages are more than I could have
dreamed. Thank you all for caring so much, I feel lucky to be part of this
community.

As for our general situation here, the initial discussion with faculty
regarding the library's change took place a few weeks ago, and many of the
faculty have been vocal in their support for the library and for books.
When the designers revealed their plans for a bookless space last week, the
attending faculty members were quick to point out the fact that there were
no books and that this was unacceptable. My colleagues are often wonderful,
and this was one of those times.

As for the meeting yesterday, it was a small group tasked with
articulating the experiences, activities, mission statement, and philosophy
for the "learning commons". I use quote marks because the first few rounds
were actually about naming, and for several reasons we agreed to embrace
the term library as the best fit for our school; we'll see if that decision
sticks when it goes to the larger committee. :) The numbers that you all
provided had a real impact on the conversation because the idea of staying
competitive has been a driving force behind the makerspace and library
overhaul, and with your numbers I could show how going bookless puts us at
a distinct disadvantage when compared to our peers. I'll certainly be using
them when we meet with the larger committee!

Again, a big thank you to everyone for your support and help.

*Laura Mauler, MLIS*
*Librarian*
Drew School
2901 California Street
San Francisco CA 94115
415.430.3718 (direct)

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Laura Mauler <lauramauler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Will anyone please share the total number of books in their collection,
and if possible their total number of enrolled students?

I am facing an administration-instigated overhaul of the library into a
learning commons/makerspace, and the initial renderings have us going
bookless. I need to make the case for keeping a robust and healthy print
collection, not just a few token books for themed displays (the designers'
actual suggestion); I'm hoping to use the size of your collections to
support my case.

We are meeting on this tomorrow morning, so your data is needed ASAP!

Thank you in advance for helping me fight for our print collection!

*Laura Mauler, MLIS*
*Librarian*
Drew School
2901 California Street