[baisl] Re: Collection Size / Going Bookless

  • From: Judy Scudder <jbscudder@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:02:28 -0700

We have 21,000 print books in our high school library, and a large
collection of nonfiction ebooks for research, and Overdrive mostly for
novels.
You can find many studies that find that teens prefer print. I surveyed our
students last spring. 70% preferred print, 22% had no preference, 8%
preferred ebooks.
A few years ago, I took a sabbatical and interviewed university professors
and librarians all over the country. I was surprised to hear that print
sources are required by so many profs. One librarian advised me to
"continue to insist on familiarity with print sources especially books on
which so many college students rely."
Judy Scudder

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Mary Goglio <mgoglio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have about 24,000 for our k-12 students and, like Ann, our book club is
the largest ever this year. Good luck!
Mary Goglio

Mary Goglio, Library Director
Head Royce School
4315 Lincoln Avenue
Oakland, CA 94103
510-531-13000-x2202

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Ann Lane <annlane@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

A good friend had a child there at the time. According to her, it was
not quite as bookless as they said, and the results were not great!

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Jan Patton <jpatton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Cushing Academy went “bookless” several years ago…click here
<http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/gallery/090409_cushing_library/>
for article

They now have both print and digital click here
<http://www.cushing.org/Page/Resources-in-Print> (and a new Head of
School).

Just sayin’….

Jan Patton, MLS
Research Librarian
Nueva Upper School
131 East 28th St.
San Mateo, CA 94403

650-235-7166
650-235–7101 (fax)

From: <baisl-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Laura Mauler <
lauramauler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, October 12, 2015 at 2:02 PM
To: baisl <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [baisl] Collection Size / Going Bookless

Will anyone please share the total number of books in their collection,
and if possible their total number of enrolled students?

I am facing an administration-instigated overhaul of the library into a
learning commons/makerspace, and the initial renderings have us going
bookless. I need to make the case for keeping a robust and healthy print
collection, not just a few token books for themed displays (the designers'
actual suggestion); I'm hoping to use the size of your collections to
support my case.

We are meeting on this tomorrow morning, so your data is needed ASAP!

Thank you in advance for helping me fight for our print collection!

*Laura Mauler, MLIS *
*Librarian*
Drew School
2901 California Street
San Francisco CA 94115
415.430.3718 (direct)

--
Ann Lane
Librarian, Saint Francis High School

--

Judy Scudder | Director of Library Services

1055 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94109

415.775.6626 ext. 732 Desk

jbscudder@xxxxxxxx | http://www.shcp.edu