[baisl] BAISL: HIT: Gale vs EBSCO databases

  • From: Lisa Newton <lnewton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 08:57:48 -0800

Here's a hit of all the responses I received.  Please forgive the
cross-posting.  There weren't too many, but they were helpful.  I'd still
be interested in hearing your thoughts if you didn't see this message the
first time around.  Thanks!

-----
These two databases were on the table in Texas to be adopted state-wide and
provided free to all schools.  Librarians were asked which one they liked
better based on different criteria such as grade levels, interface, added
features, customer service, and types of databases available.  School
librarians consistently chose Gale.  Interestingly, public libraries like
Ebsco.

Reasons why I like Gale:
Blog-type interface with keyword links
Amount of reference used to create the databases
Icons indicating reading levels
MLA/APA; incorporates Easybib
Translates into 23 different languages
Download to E-reader, share it via social media,  email it
Converts to mp3

----

If you need literary criticism,---better go with Gale.

---

 I switched to Ebsco several years ago because I was so unhappy with
changes Gale was making and with the overlap between the databases in their
[consortium] package. I guess the grass is always greener elsewhere! I've
been very happy with Ebsco, though I did keep Gale Global Issues in
Conflict and GVRL.

---

I use Ebsco databases at [name redacted] College where I fill in and I
dislike them intensely, as do the other librarians there.  Ebsco did a deal
with the Calif. Community Colleges so they had to go with Ebsco, but they
kept Lit. Research Ctr. from Gale as it's so much better.  They also kept
Opposing Viewpoints as it is better than what Ebsco has.  I find the
indexing poor - it seems to bring up too much or not enough.  The
literature searching is definitely worse.  Of course, I am using the
databases designed for high schools/ community colleges, so I cannot speak
to any designed for lower level students.

*Lisa Newton*
Librarian
York School
9501 York Road