[baisl] Re: Anyone doing college readiness courses?

  • From: Tasha Bergson-Michelson <tbergsonmichelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:24:31 -0700

Hi Michele,

Castilleja has such a program in place.

Senior seminars take place in mid-May. Topics change each year and are
selected and organized by a committee of seniors. Last year they were:

Self-defense
Learning How to Change a Bike Tire
How to Change a Car Tire
Setting up LinkedIn
Learning How to Register to Vote

Each session is about 45 minutes, and they are offered multiple times, so
students select three they want to take.

I understand there have also been topics like home maintenance, how to do
laundry, and more. Plus, I think our senior math teachers spend the post-AP
weeks teaching personal finance in class.

I can put you in touch with the organizer, if you would like.

Good luck!
Tasha

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Robin Gluck <rgluck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Michele,

We have a loose collection of workshops that we offer seniors the last two
weeks of school. The topics depend on faculty interest. Last year there
was one on buying a used car. I did a workshop on college research and
libraries. We also had a panel of alums talk about their transition to
college.

Feel free to follow-up if we need more detail. And please share your
plans! We'd love to benefit from your research.

Thanks,

Robin Gluck
JCHS Librarian

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Michele Martin <
michele.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

My school is implementing a program for second-semester seniors to help
prep them with real-life skills for college. We're in the brainstorming
stage at this point, and plan to cover things like laundry,
shopping/cooking, budgeting, changing a tire/basic car care, interviewing
skills, campus security awareness, etc.

Is anyone's school is already doing such a program, and if so, would you
be willing to share what you are doing, how it's going, best practices, and
any general words of wisdom?

Thanks so much!

Best,

*Michele Martin*

*Director of Information Science (Librarian)Sonoma Academy2500 Farmers
LaneSanta Rosa, CA 95404707.545.1770 <707.545.1770>*

--

[image: SignatureLogo]

*Robin Gluck*

*Librarian*

Jewish Community High School of the Bay
1835 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
www.jchsofthebay.org | rgluck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Empowering Individuals | Enriching Community | Embracing Pluralism*

--
Tasha Bergson-Michelson
Instructional and Programming Librarian

WOMEN LEARNING I WOMEN LEADING