Badges - Re: Satellite Radio

  • From: Charles Rahn <c.t.rahn@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Badges 1Badge <badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:45:29 -0400

James Arness just passed away recently.

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:54:03 -0700
From: dmortex@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Badges - Re: Satellite Radio
To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 James Arness WAS Matt Dillon!!

From: Forrest Joyner <fj@xxxxxxxxx>
To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 4:47 PM

I've listened to some of the old radio Gunsmokes with William Conrad (aka
Cannon from TV).  They actually considered him for the role when they
transitioned to TV, but they said he got stuck in a chair trying to stand up.
I think it turned out better with the recently deceased James Arness.

Forrest

On Jul 29, 2011, at 3:27 PM, carlglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Of all the programs/channels on
 SiriusXM, I enjoy the old radio programs such as The Shadow, The Whistler, The
Green Hornet, Gun Smoke, etc.  I have the Delphi Roady2 which has a built in FM
modulator which makes it convenient when changing patrol cars. The night shift
can sometimes get a little boring and this radio helps pass the time.
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

 Satellite Radio

> Too bad a la carte service isn't available for all of these things like cable
> TV, Sat TV, Sat radio, etc.  Like most of you, I probably only listen to or
> watch less than 10 stations, so the other 100+ or whatever that I'm paying
> for is useless to me.  OTOH, I sure an glad I'm supporting the broadcast of
> Telemundo.
>
> Forrest
>
> On Jul 29, 2011, at 2:15 PM, CarlGlas@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Anyone who subscribes to SiriusXM Satellite Radio has probably noticed by
>> now that several things have happened since Sirius' acquisition of XM. I
>> suppose the most annoying thing is it is no longer commercial free radio.
>>
>> Then the increase of stations has lowered the quality of the sound. However,
>> what really sucks is they have now passed down their operating costs to the
 subscriber so they can continue delivering crappy service at an increased rate.

>> Originally, in 1997, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
>> granted only two licenses and, in order to ensure a state of competition,
>> stipulated that one of the holders would not be permitted to acquire control
>> of the other.
>>
>> Well, what happened?
>>
>> By 2007 the FCC apparently forgot about their initial intentions and the
>> United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division announced the merger
>> of the two companies, citing no harm to consumers or competition.
>>
>> If you are the only satellite radio company in business where is the
>> competition?
>>
>> SiriusXM stated that because both companies will operate as one, this may
>> reduce the cost of licensing the broadcast material. It will also almost
>> certainly reduce the staff required to run the company. Also,
 programming can be spread out among the companies' combined satellite
constellations. Well it did reduce their cost of licensing the broadcast
material because they have passed it onto the 18.5 million subscribers.

>> I have been a subscriber since 2005 and am now a member of a class action
>> lawsuit. Unfortunately, I feel this is a  scam too. As part of the proposed
>> Settlement, Sirius XM has agreed not to raise the price of its base
>> subscription plan and certain other prices through the end of 2011.
>> Additionally, subscribers with long term plans (excluding lifetime
>> subscriptions) will be permitted to restart their plan at current rates
>> before December 31, 2011.  After approval of the Settlement, former
>> subscribers will also be permitted to either (a) reconnect their satellite
>> radio without paying a reactivation fee and receive one month service at no
>> cost; or (b) receive one month of Sirius XM Internet streaming
 service at no cost.  The estimated value to the Class of the Settlement is
approximately $180 million.  The Settlement does not provide for cash payments
to Class members.