Badges - Re: More info: Ariz. governor signs controversial immigrationen...

  • From: "HMellon" <hmellon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 03:29:51 -0400

But if you are a judicial officer, you must inquire about citizenship status
before accepting a guilty plea, because you must make sure that in
appropriate cases, the defendant is making a "voluntary, knowing and
intelligent" plea when a result of that plea may be deportation.

So I cant accept a plea to a crime that could result in a deportation order
without telling the defendant if he pleads guilty and is not a citizen, he
can be deported.

Howard

From: <CHK8093@xxxxxxx>

> If I inquire about someone's immigration status, I can be brought up on
> departmental charges.  Chicago and Cook County are "Havens".

Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997