Badges - Re: Carry

  • From: "HMellon" <hmellon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:02:02 -0400

I said it was not a nationwide carry PERMIT.   It is a federal law that
states that certain persons are exempt, in limited circumstances, from
certain state firearms laws when that person has complied with the
requirements of the federal statute.  It does not create a "permit" but
creates an exemption to certain state laws.    Note that in states that
permit businesses for example, to prohibit firearms, if you are carrying
under HR-218, you must comply with that requirement.  Also, you cannot carry
where a state prohibits carrying on government property.    So legally it is
an exemption.

To answer Chris, in the South Dakota case, the Judge deemed the use of force
by the officers as justifiable use of force, and acknowledged that HR-218
permitted the Seattle officer to carry in SD.   Therefore he dismissed the
charge.   As an aside, the Judge did not dismiss the CCW charge against the
fireman, and I havent followed up to see whatever happened to that case.

Howard

From: "Charles Rahn" <c.t.rahn@xxxxxxxx>