Badges - From the LA Times today

  • From: Jim Cullinan <j.cullinan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Badges <badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:13:31 -0400

RIP Chief Gates.....

Crime <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/courts/> | Government
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/government/> | Medical marijuana
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/medical-marijuana/> | Education
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/education/> | Prop 8
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/prop_8/index.html> | Traffic
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/bottleneck/> | Westside
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/westside/>

  L.A. NOW <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/>

    Southern California -- this just in

<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/remaining-appointments-for-free-health-clinic-can-be-made-wednesday.html>

| L.A. NOW Home <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/> | Next Post »
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/mobile-marijuana-dispensary-rolls-to-a-halt-in-norco.html>

  Viewing for Daryl Gates draws hundreds; Tuesday funeral will shut part
  of downtown L.A.

<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/viewing-for-daryl-gates-draws-hundreds-tuesday-funeral-will-shut-part-of-downtown-la.html>

April 26, 2010 | 1:39 pm

A few hundred people quietly and somberly paid respect to former Los
Angeles Police Department Chief Daryl Gates, whose flag-draped wooden
casket was on display in an auditorium at the downtown headquarters. As
people funneled past the casket, two white-gloved LAPD officers stood at
attention.

A running loop of pictures of Gates were projected on the wall behind
the casket. After an initial rush of mourners, the scene became much
quieter, with only a trickle of people every now and then. Visitation
continues through 8 p.m. Monday. The funeral service will be held
Tuesday at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown L.A.

Gates, who ran the LAPD from 1978 to 1992, died April 16 at his Dana
Point home after a battle with cancer. He was 83.

Mark Rodriguez, 43, an accountant who said he was attending because his
father, a former Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy, was close friends
with Gates and would have wanted to pay his respects.

"He was very much like my father," Rodriguez said. "He was a stern man,
but a kind man." Rodriguez recalled Gates' sharp sense of humor and one
golf outing when Rodriguez was only 15.

The young Rodriguez drove the ball the further than anyone else in the
group. Gates retorted: "It's a good thing I don't have my ticket book
with me."

Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997