Badges - Austin police ask for $4.5 million to stock up on Crown Victorias

  • From: CarlGlas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:17:36 -0500

Austin, Texas police ask for $4.5 million to stock up on Crown Victorias
Ford plans to discontinue iconic patrol car; police want to buy 176.

By Isadora Vail

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Before the face of police cars changes forever, Austin police are hoping to buy one more group of Crown Victorias this year.

Police are asking the city for $4.5 million to buy 176 Crown Victorias before Ford discontinues the iconic patrol car. Officials say the request will go before the City Council on Thursday.

Austin patrol officers have driven the Fords for more than 20 years, and buying anything different would mean having to buy new parts and equipment that would fit the other models.

"One of the reasons why we want to order now is because the two companies that are making new cars for police (Ford and Chevy) are keeping price points closed, and we don't know how much a replacement car could cost," said Assistant Police Chief Sean Mannix.

Another concern is that the new police cars that companies are promoting are only prototypes and have not been extensively tested, Mannix said.

It is necessary for police to have the same model, he said, because the department stocks up on parts, such as computer mounts and light bars. Because the Crown Victoria has not changed much in the past two decades, parts can be used interchangeably on different model years.

"We get new vehicles every year, but we are asking for more than normal to keep us going for at least the next five years," Mannix said. "This will last us while we are determining what the next model will be."

After a car has been driven about 80,000 miles, the department evaluates durability and dependability. At that point, many are taken off high-priority or high-mileage assignments and given to a section of the department that isn't a first responder or working patrol.

Austin police have bought different models, such as the Dodge Charger, but police won't be buying more because the trunk and back seat don't have enough room for passengers or computer equipment, Mannix said.

"It might be good to get a fleet of tried and true cars while they work the bugs out of the new ones," said Wayne Vincent, the police association president. "They have been very reliable vehicles, and I really hate to see them go."

The Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997