[badgerstatevolunteers] Re: Water Purification

  • From: "Joe" <virtualadonis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <badgerstatevolunteers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:40:43 -0500

I have not done my homework on the sunlight option lomax but I think you would
need glass which would make it unpractical for people on the move. Not sure the
ultraviolet light would make it through even clear plastic well enough to get
the job done.

From what I know about fire it will purify everything between boiling and
filtering, but as lomax said inconvenient. The tablets would be just as
effective and much easer.

            From: lomax <chac2ook@xxxxxxxxx>
            To: badgerstatevolunteers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            Date: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 7:01 PM

            Boiling water doesn't "purify" everything, and somewhat time
consuming and real hard to do from a canoe, but works fine in a lot of

            On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Nathan C Golding
<goldingn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

              What no fancy gadegets or things that are dangerous were is the
fun in that.  I guess we coulg go low tech and take the fire option.  lol

              From: lomax <chac2ook@xxxxxxxxx>
              To: badgerstatevolunteers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Date: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 5:49 PM

              Wow, sounds good....this is the one tool that I recomend to not
be cheap on.....water is life!!!!

              On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Joe < virtualadonis@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

              This is a lot of money but check out everything it does. 13,000
gal, 97% of all radio activity wow. How confident would you be on a SHTF hike
out? The replacement cartridge is high too but if one had the money it would be
nice to have. For $500 one could have safe water for what 2 or 3 years. I will
get this in the future.
              For now I have my eye on the Katadyn Combi Microfilter. Again a
little pricey $180 but I get the field cleanable ceramic .2 micron filter that
last 13,000 gal w/replacement cost $180 and the optional activated carbon
filter for chemicals w/ replacement cartridge only $30. I think chemicals are a
real problem in most populated areas, and certainly will be after the SHTF hike
              What do you all think?

              freeman lomax

            freeman lomax

  Kevin J
  “Far Better it is to Dare Mighty Things than to take rank with those poor,
timid spirits Who know Neither Victory nor Defeat.”
  Theodore Roosevelt

  "I was not delivered unto this world in defeat,
  nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a
  sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I
  am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep
  with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep
  and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let
  them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure
  is not my destiny.

freeman lomax