[AZ-Observing] Re: venus transit

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:16:41 -0700

At 12:31 -0700 06/09/2004, Nishimotog@xxxxxxx wrote:
>unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate on 8june but did get to
>see 10 min. of it thorugh holes in the clouds. of course, when the
>transit was over, the skies were blue.
>
>spent time with akat group-the local astronomy club in istanbul. had
>a picnic with them and spent the night with one of the memeber's
>families the night before the transit. it has been an enriching and
>rewarding experience to share time with these great turkish people.
>
>am now in cappodocia region staying in  a cave hotel and doing this
>email from an internet cafe called flintstone, as most of the
>structures here are carved into solidified volcanic ash.
>
>see you all at july meeting.
>
>glenn

I had good success in upstate NY. I'll have some images up on my web
site later on Thursday.

What Amazed me aside from the size of Venus was that the atmosphere
was clearly visible against the Sun on the computer screen. I don't
know if it was captured, but I plan to work on the images to see if I
can bring it out.

I got over an hour's worth of images. Just before 3rd contact the
Windows system froze. Boy I hate Windows. I should have brought my
Mac PowerBook and used VPC. I did manage to get some images between
third and forth contact, however.

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************