[AZ-Observing] Re: specks flying in formation

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:44:02 -0700 (MST)

     I was thinking maybe a good approximation might be the line
heading due south from Roosevelt Lake, and whatever the angle is
toward where the Moon/Pleiades were.  Find the elevation of the
Moon at the time, then apply trig based on that estimated distance
to get the altitude of the birds.  I've seen them pass at least
a thousand feet up over Anderson Mesa when organized in the, um,
flying V formation.

\Brian