[AZ-Observing] saturn occultation by the moon from scottsdale, az

  • From: brett watson <bwatson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:45:49 -0700

what a spectacular show.  i setup my 8" dob with dob driver II tracker last
night, and was ready to go when the alarm went off at 4:40am this morning.
right on time, at 5:02am saturn slipped behind the illuminated side of the
moon.  it took about a minute and a half for saturn to slip completely
behind the moon.

the more facsinating part was when saturn emerged from behind the moon at
6:32am.  this was on the dark side.   i had tracking set up, so suddenly
the edge of saturn's rings just popped seemingly out of no where :)  very
interesting.  another minute and a half and i could see saturn fully, even
though the sun is well on it's way into the sky now.

the seeing was not so great when i got out this morning.  the moon actually
had some "halo" around it.  the air was fairly steady but not terribly
transparent.  either it cleared, or my eyes cleared, and the viewing turned
out pretty good.  i even used my 7mm nagler at times, which gives me
approx. 171x magnification.  a little fuzzy but nice anyway.

-b