[AZ-Observing] Re: [sac-forum] Re: Jeff Medkeff

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:19:12 -0700

Hi Stan and all,
Jeff was a brilliant amateur astronomer who traded in his telescope for some
hiking boots when he moved to Alaska a some years back from Sierra Vista.
Well, not really. It's just when it's clear in Alaska, the Sun doesn't set;
and when it's finally night skies, you risk frostbite or your eyelids
freezing to the eyepiece or something like that. He did do some amazing
hikes and travels there though that sometimes included Alaska flavored
astronomy.  He was part of the expedition to Barrow Alaska to view the 2004
Venus Transit with David Healy, did plenty of public astronomy outreach with
the Eagle River Nature Center & chased the Aurora Borealis with his camera.
He also was brilliant with computers including their use with telescopes and
would come back to Sierra Vista from time to time to update the inner
workings of David Healy's amazing JBO scope.  Tom and I just saw him there
in early May.  I first met him early 1999 when he did a talk to SAC about
Mars and became close to him and his wife Karen when Tom and I got together.
Jeff was only 39.  He died from hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) a
short time after diagnosis despite his brave objective fact finding research
into this disease and treatments.  He was a young vibrantly healthy active
person with zero bad vices, a great exercise regimine, ate his vegetables,
and even wore his bear bell when out hiking in Alaska's Bear Country.  I'm
so sad and, like many others, I'll miss him forever.
Jennifer