[AZ-Observing] reminder--Digital Universe workshop

  • From: shuplac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: howmad1@xxxxxxx, israelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, alienstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx,kellerjt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx, gene.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,louis.pappas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JHESTER@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:47:04 -0700

Dear Astronomy Enthusiasts,

Just wanted to remind those of you who know and inform those who do not:
Ryan Wyatt of the Rose Center for Earth and Space will be presenting
a "Digital Universe" workshop in the Dorrance Planetarium at the
Arizona Science Center for the June 4th Adults' Night Out event.
Both the event and the presentation are free.

Join the staff of New York City's Rose Center for Earth and Space for a
guided tour through charted space, presented in the Arizona Science Center's
Dorrance Planetarium at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. on June 4, 2004.

As part of the reopening of the Hayden Planetarium in 2000, the
American Museum of Natural History embarked on an effort to create a
three-dimensional astronomical atlas that would provide the framework
for teaching about the discoveries of modern astrophysics. While the
Rose Center for Earth and Space was constructed outside the Museum, a
digital model of the Universe was constructed inside. For the last
several years, evening programs in the Hayden Planetarium have
highlighted various features of the Digital Universe, using real data
to convey scientific stories.

Support from NASA, which funded the original Digital Galaxy Project
during the opening of the Rose Center, has allowed us to put our
program on the road. We invite you on a journey through our Digital
Universe, an interactive atlas of real astronomical data from the local
solar neighborhood of stars out to the edge of the observable Universe.
We will showcase different pieces of our evolving collection of data,
taking you on a guided tour through charted space - an experience that
will redefine your sense of "home."

Christine Shupla
Planetarium Director
Arizona Science Center