[AZ-Observing] Re: question

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:06:57 -0700

I too started will personal computers in the early 1980's. I had
experience with main frames prior to that. What blew me away was the
Mac when it was introduced in 1984. It was over a decade before the
PC even had the Mac level of use in 84. Mac has always been several
years ahead of the PC. I use Windows Pro XP on a couple of Dell
Laptops. THey work well, but still not as smooth or friendly as the
Mac.

I use a Mac G4 with OS 9.2.2 for most of my work. It has been working
great for many years and I have all the software I need on it. I have
a Mac Mini coming next week that with OSX that I plan to set up to
replace my G3 with OS 8.6 that has been my web server for over a
decade and has worked very well.

For spectroscopy processing I use a couple of freeware programs on
Windows, because they are Windows only. All my single channel
photometry is processed on my Mac. I like the Dells because I bought
them used for under $500 (TigerDirect) so if they get damaged it's
not a big deal. I'm used to the Mac and get very frustrated with the
PC when what I do on the Mac with ease is a pain in Windows. Also,
there are several ways to use a Mac with Windows.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT