[AZ-Observing] Re: oh-oh... mirror cleaning time

  • From: "Brian Page" <brpage@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:52:10 -0700

With all due respect, I would never use a paper towel for this purpose or
allow one to get anywhere near sensitive mirror coatings.  Perhaps paper
towels might be used for blotting up drops on the surface without touching
the mirror, but I would use sterile cotton for this purpose myself.  While
I'm not sure about how Glass Plus might affect optical coatings, I tend to
be paranoid about cleaning mirrors (as well as lenses) and have been using
Opticlean for the past several years.  This is a liquid polymer that adheres
to the optical surface and peels off all of the gunk while protecting the
coatings.  It's worked great for me (although it's expensive) and seems to
give significantly better results than standard cleaning techniques using
alcohol, distilled water, dish soap and sterile cotton.  I would hate to see
anyone try and use a paper towel on their mirror, especially someone without
prior experience in this exercise.

Sincerely,

Brian Page