[AZ-Observing] Re: odd sighting

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 23:46:11 -0700

On 03/08/15 23:24, djwrigley@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Could a star flare up and dim that suddenly

  The only stars I'm aware of that would vary by the range and timescale
you describe are flare stars such as UV Ceti. These are red (or possibly
brown) dwarfs. Iota Hya is not in that class however, being a type III
giant according to Simbad.

> or is there a better explanation?

  Probably, however I don't have any idea what it may be. As I write
this, I see nothing brighter than perhaps magnitude 3.5 within 5 degrees
of Alphard.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx